Old 18-06-2005, 05:12 PM
TomH

On 18 Jun 2005 02:42:02 GMT, Kay Lancaster
wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Kay.

Looks like sunscald to me; common in thin barked trees exposed to sun
on the south or se sides. Sets the tree up for various and sundry
fungal diseases.

Yes, some of this looks like sunscald, however it is on the
more northern flank. The broader openings lead me to agree
with David Bockman. (Not that one ailment is preferable to
the other!)

Acer platanoides, which is what I think you've got, is going to be a
big tree at maturity 40-50'x40-50' -- apparently much too big for where
you've got it, since someone has already pruned it drastically.

Yes, I believe it is a 'Norway', however, it is rather small
for its age. The pruning was apparently to keep it as the
'globe maple' the original owner purchased. I'll have to
keep it well pruned because of the potential for size.

Personally, I'd start looking for specimens that fit the space available,
choose one and plant it to replace your norway maple, taking the maple down
as soon as your other tree becomes more established. It's easier and cheaper
sooner than later, and by choosing a species that fits the site size, exposure
and soil type, you'll have a good chance of having a healthy, long-lived tree
that adds value to your property.

If it comes out, we may well take the opportunity to
rearrange some stonework and other bedding sites. (And live
with an umbrella for shade in the meantime.)

Thanks again,
Tom
--
+ TomH + antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com