Old 24-10-2002, 05:52 PM
Graham Wells

Default Choosing an apple tree

J Jackson wrote in message ...
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote:
: from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

: Ribston Pippin and Tydeman's Late Orange are both very tasty apples.

: Thanks.They're certainly two which appeal. I'm also trying not to be
: influenced by names, but they both have irresistible names!

I've heard that Ribston Pippin is very prone to water core?

Last year my apples- re Ribston Pippin- were mostly affected by this
complaint,but I took some to be examined at a local apple day, as at
that time I didn't know what it was or what the cause was.
The info given was that due to irregular watering-rainfall- the juice
in the apple turns to sugar.If you chew the affected area it is a very
sweet taste.This year following feeding etc very few had this
complaint? I quite like the sweet almost crystalised pieces of flesh.
My problem with the older apples is codling moth I have caught
hundreds using the traps sold but and many got through.