Old 19-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Kay

Default urgmeets

Years ago, urg used to hold regular 'urgmeets'. An urgler (poster to
uk.rec.gardening) would invite others to come to see his/her garden on a
particular day, and people would bring plants to swap. On other days,
people would agree to meet up at a public garden or garden show.

These meets were open to all, and everybody was welcome. These meets are
the reason why some people in the group know each other - first we met
in urg, then we met in Real Life!

Sadly, as the number posting to newsgroups has increased and people have
become more suspicious of each other, the urgmeets have withered away,
not because anyone has wanted to keep people out, but because no-one has
responded when someone has suggested one (as David did only a few weeks
ago).

I enjoyed the urgmeets. I got to meet new people that I would never ever
have met without urg, I could see their gardens and understand the
problems they were talking about. So I'm sad that they have vanished. Is
there anyone out there who would like to start urgmeets again, or have
they vanished forever?

--
Kay