Old 19-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Kay

Default urgmeets

Years ago, urg used to hold regular 'urgmeets'. An urgler (poster to
uk.rec.gardening) would invite others to come to see his/her garden on a
particular day, and people would bring plants to swap. On other days,
people would agree to meet up at a public garden or garden show.

These meets were open to all, and everybody was welcome. These meets are
the reason why some people in the group know each other - first we met
in urg, then we met in Real Life!

Sadly, as the number posting to newsgroups has increased and people have
become more suspicious of each other, the urgmeets have withered away,
not because anyone has wanted to keep people out, but because no-one has
responded when someone has suggested one (as David did only a few weeks
ago).

I enjoyed the urgmeets. I got to meet new people that I would never ever
have met without urg, I could see their gardens and understand the
problems they were talking about. So I'm sad that they have vanished. Is
there anyone out there who would like to start urgmeets again, or have
they vanished forever?

--
Kay

Old 19-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Sacha

On 19/6/05 8:55, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

[...]

In principle - e.g. family crises, or whatever not intervening, we'd be
willing to host one next year. I think the last one we did was in August,
around Bank Holiday time, so perhaps that's a good long weekend for those
who are coming to deepest Devon from far afield. I can supply names and
addresses of good B&Bs near here and those in caravans can use the field or
car park. ;-)
The only problem with us is that we're not exactly central. OTOH, we're
about an hour from the Eden Project and Rosemoor and half an hour from The
Garden House. Dartmoor is about 3.5 miles away and the sea is as far as you
care to go - trips down the river Dart on the ferry to Dartmouth are sublime
experiences.
Only one proviso - no dogs, I'm afraid. Our two Jack Russells and one
wire-haired dachshund are very territorial!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes
Years ago, urg used to hold regular 'urgmeets'. An urgler (poster to
uk.rec.gardening) would invite others to come to see his/her garden on a
particular day, and people would bring plants to swap.

Oh yes, I support that venture as you know Kay, 'specially the plant
swapping

Made some very good friends at URG meets.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 19-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Broadback

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Kay
writes

Years ago, urg used to hold regular 'urgmeets'. An urgler (poster to
uk.rec.gardening) would invite others to come to see his/her garden on a
particular day, and people would bring plants to swap.

Oh yes, I support that venture as you know Kay, 'specially the plant
swapping

Made some very good friends at URG meets.

I too would agree in principle. It would be great if there were a number
with a good geographical spread. Sadly I am one of those who would like
someone else to organise it. :-(
I have found that it is a thankless task. However a meet (in the North
Midlands) at a garden would be something I would like.

Old 19-06-2005, 02:12 PM
JennyC

"Kay" wrote in message
[...]

I never made it to one in the 'good old days', but you might tempt me over
.......... :~)
Jenny

Old 19-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, didn't realise I'd sent that previously.
I'd love to take part, BUT can't host one as my garden is so tiny.
Also, as I can no longer drive (poor sight) I'd have difficulty
getting anywhere unless some kind soul in the Bristol area were going
also.
I'm still hoping to get to Hestercombe for the Clematis day on Aug
14th which Charlie told us about. I'm hoping to get friends to take
me.
It would be great to meet friends and put faces to names!

Pam in Bristol
Old 20-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Charlie Pridham

wrote:

[...]

re Hestercombe
I have recently been to check out the new building and the courtyard area is
very good, now glass covered in sort of leaves, it feels like sitting
outside but you are protected from rain!
Plans for the event are moving forward and as always I worry about what
plants will be ok to take, but it should be an interesting couple of days
and it would be nice to meet a few of urgs posters. I get to meet some
individuals while they are in Cornwall but like Sacha we are not at the
centre of things down here, I would be more than happy to host something if
there was any interest.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 20-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Dave

"Kay" wrote in message
Years ago, urg used to hold regular 'urgmeets'. An urgler (poster to
uk.rec.gardening) would invite others to come to see his/her garden on a
particular day, and people would bring plants to swap. On other days,
people would agree to meet up at a public garden or garden show.

We met at Kew once, which was a great success. Some of us brought cars
with plants in, and swapped plants, and others came by train and tube.
We had a good day out and some great conversations.

These meets were open to all, and everybody was welcome. These meets are
the reason why some people in the group know each other - first we met
in urg, then we met in Real Life!

Sadly, as the number posting to newsgroups has increased and people have
become more suspicious of each other, the urgmeets have withered away,
not because anyone has wanted to keep people out, but because no-one has
responded when someone has suggested one (as David did only a few weeks
ago).

I'm still open to hosting one, I'm about 3 miles off the A1(M) and 16 m
SW of Cambridge. I have space to park cars (village hall opposite - does
that ring any bells Janet??) and a large fairly new garden with lots
more to do, but public transport is hard to come by - though there is a
small rail station about 2m away.

I enjoyed the urgmeets. I got to meet new people that I would never ever
have met without urg, I could see their gardens and understand the
problems they were talking about. So I'm sad that they have vanished. Is
there anyone out there who would like to start urgmeets again, or have
they vanished forever?
Kay

JennyC writes

I never made it to one in the 'good old days', but you might tempt me over
......... :~)

I think its just a matter of floating an idea and keeping it going until
enough of us agree on where and when to make it happen. Not everyone
will be able to make it in that location or at that time, but enough of
us should be able to for the tradition to be continued. I'd dearly love
to get down to Devon and meet Sacha and see their place and do the Eden
project - and current family circumstances mean its unlikely in the near
future - but you never know!
--
David
Old 20-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Dave contains these words:

I think its just a matter of floating an idea and keeping it going until
enough of us agree on where and when to make it happen. Not everyone
will be able to make it in that location or at that time, but enough of
us should be able to for the tradition to be continued. I'd dearly love
to get down to Devon and meet Sacha and see their place and do the Eden
project - and current family circumstances mean its unlikely in the near
future - but you never know!

I hope your 'reply to' works...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 21-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Dave

Jaques d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Dave contains these words:

I think its just a matter of floating an idea and keeping it going until
enough of us agree on where and when to make it happen. Not everyone
will be able to make it in that location or at that time, but enough of
us should be able to for the tradition to be continued. I'd dearly love
to get down to Devon and meet Sacha and see their place and do the Eden
project - and current family circumstances mean its unlikely in the near
future - but you never know!

I hope your 'reply to' works...

It doesn't, but I'll try and decode yours and e-mail....
--
David
Old 21-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Dave contains these words:

It doesn't, but I'll try and decode yours and e-mail....

I discovered that...