Old 19-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Emery Davis

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:12:58 -0400, TomH said:

] On 18 Jun 2005 02:42:02 GMT, Kay Lancaster
] wrote:
]
[]
]
] Acer platanoides, which is what I think you've got, is going to be a
] big tree at maturity 40-50'x40-50' -- apparently much too big for where
] you've got it, since someone has already pruned it drastically.
]
] Yes, I believe it is a 'Norway', however, it is rather small
] for its age. The pruning was apparently to keep it as the
] 'globe maple' the original owner purchased. I'll have to
] keep it well pruned because of the potential for size.
]

Hi Tom,

I believe Kay may be grouping all cultivars of A. platanoides together,
which does describe your tree IMO. A. platanoides 'Globosum', is
what is commonly called a Globe Maple. James Harris describes this
as "a small tree to 10m (30ft) high, with a dense, round shape." The
van Gelderens describe it as "A modestly growing tree with a flat-topped
crown, densely branched.... fruits hardly ever formed." (This tree doesn't
figure among the maples I have in the garden, so I can't comment
from personal experience.)

So if it dropping seed all over the place, and growing like a weed, it is probably
not a globe maple, but some other A. platanoides pruned to a "globe-like"
shape. Still, one comment suggest you've got the real cultivar (small for
its age).

Injured maples do bleed a lot, but although yours has been through the
wars, they're a tough lot. Were I you, I'd give it a few years to see if
it recovers.

HTH,

-E
--