Old 19-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Boseley

I thank you all, plant identified, in England!!!!!
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Boseley" contains these words:

Could someone help me identify this plant on the below mentioned link?

http://sendall1542.fotopic.net/c583728.html

The plant in No 5 looks very like goat's beard (Tragopodon pratensis),
but the flower doesn't resemble it. Could it be salsify (Tragopodon
porrifolius) I wonder: this does have purple flowers, but I don't have
an illustration anywhere.

The plant is about four foot in height, the flower petals are a purple
colour, star shaped and only appear to open during the morning period,
the
stalk and leaves are not unlike the leaves and stalk of Pinks but greener
and larger.

The plant appeared in my neighbour's garden, we are all mystified,

If it is salsify, the root is edible (Vegetable oyster, IIRC). However,
you might save some of the seeds and have a tasty crop next year.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/