Old 20-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Jill Tardivel

JennyC wrote:
Hello all,

What sort of growing conditions do raspberries prefer?

Sun / Shade
Soil type
Dry / Wet

TIA Jenny

--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)

Years ago I had to weigh the raspberries produced in plots in a large
field. The soil was sandy and it was in the south east of England.

Whatever the variety, the yield was higher in the shadier part of the
field, to the north of the railway banking.

For all varieties the yield was increased by some 40% by lots of
irrigation at the 'purple berry' (just moved on from green but not yet
red)stage.

In the heat of 1976 (yep, I said it was years ago) the crop was
pitifully reduced and the eight week picking season was reduced to two.
I don't think we irrigated that year.

Personally, much as I love rasps, I would not hold our much success for
growing them in the Dordogne. Unless you have a wet and shady spot.

Jill tardivel