Old 18-06-2005, 09:07 AM
JennyC

Default Raspberries

Hello all,

What sort of growing conditions do raspberries prefer?

Sun / Shade
Soil type
Dry / Wet

TIA Jenny

--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)

Old 18-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:13:45 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Hello all,

What sort of growing conditions do raspberries prefer?

Scotland. Cool climate, acid soil, not dry.

Janet.

My soil is limy clay, which gets like mud in winter and sets like
concrete in dry summers. My raspberries do well, in full sun.

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Brian

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Hello all,

What sort of growing conditions do raspberries prefer?

Scotland. Cool climate, acid soil, not dry.

Janet.

_________________
I agree with Janet. Soft fruits seem to excel in the North~ and even
more so in Scandinavia. Seems to be length of day related. In comparison,
Spanish fruits are quite tasteless but available all the
year.{strawberries}.
Stone fruits flourish in warmer climates as do Apples {green varieties}
and Pears.
Visit Shropshire and Ludlow to see many fruits [and flowers]] at their
nearest to best.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 19-06-2005, 10:53 AM
JennyC

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Hello all,

What sort of growing conditions do raspberries prefer?

Scotland. Cool climate, acid soil, not dry.

Janet.

That's what I was afraid of...........
I might want of grow them in the Dordogne in France, which is not cool, damp or
acid :~((
Jenny

Old 19-06-2005, 10:53 AM
JennyC

wrote:

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Hello all,

What sort of growing conditions do raspberries prefer?

Scotland. Cool climate, acid soil, not dry.

Janet.

My soil is limy clay, which gets like mud in winter and sets like
concrete in dry summers. My raspberries do well, in full sun.

Pam in Bristol

AhHa - so there is hope after all :~)
Jenny

Old 19-06-2005, 10:54 AM
JennyC

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Hello all,

What sort of growing conditions do raspberries prefer?

Scotland. Cool climate, acid soil, not dry.

Janet.

_________________
I agree with Janet. Soft fruits seem to excel in the North~ and even
more so in Scandinavia. Seems to be length of day related. In comparison,
Spanish fruits are quite tasteless but available all the
year.{strawberries}.
Stone fruits flourish in warmer climates as do Apples {green varieties}
and Pears.

OK, so I can grow Figs, Apricots, peaches then :~))

Visit Shropshire and Ludlow to see many fruits [and flowers]] at their
nearest to best.

Not easy as i live in Holland ATM but we are thinking of relocating to the
Dordogne.......

Jenny

Old 19-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Brian

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Hello all,

What sort of growing conditions do raspberries prefer?

Scotland. Cool climate, acid soil, not dry.

Janet.

That's what I was afraid of...........
I might want of grow them in the Dordogne in France, which is not cool,

damp or
acid :~((

_ Jenny
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They will grow quite well. You originally asked for their prefered
conditions. 50% of that possible in Scotland will still be worthwhile. There
are few places where they will not grow at all.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 20-06-2005, 05:02 AM
JennyC

"jay jay" wrote
Hi, I do live in the Dordogne and the raspberries are doing well and
in full sun despite the current temperatures. However, in order to get
a better crop next year I am going to get some autumn fruiting
varieties. The local garden centre has several different cultivers and
they must suit local conditions, i.e. hot summers and a light alkaline
soil.
jay jay

Hi
Do you have a private email address?
I'd like to discuss the Dordogne with you :~)
Jenny

remove the squirrel to reply direct

Old 20-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Jill Tardivel

JennyC wrote:
Hello all,

What sort of growing conditions do raspberries prefer?

Sun / Shade
Soil type
Dry / Wet

TIA Jenny

--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)
remove the squirrel to reply

Years ago I had to weigh the raspberries produced in plots in a large
field. The soil was sandy and it was in the south east of England.

Whatever the variety, the yield was higher in the shadier part of the
field, to the north of the railway banking.

For all varieties the yield was increased by some 40% by lots of
irrigation at the 'purple berry' (just moved on from green but not yet
red)stage.

In the heat of 1976 (yep, I said it was years ago) the crop was
pitifully reduced and the eight week picking season was reduced to two.
I don't think we irrigated that year.

Personally, much as I love rasps, I would not hold our much success for
growing them in the Dordogne. Unless you have a wet and shady spot.

Jill tardivel

Old 20-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Tim Challenger

wrote:

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Hello all,

What sort of growing conditions do raspberries prefer?

Scotland. Cool climate, acid soil, not dry.

Janet.

My soil is limy clay, which gets like mud in winter and sets like
concrete in dry summers. My raspberries do well, in full sun.

Pam in Bristol

Mine too.
We regularly get 30C+ temps here in the summer and they do pretty well. I
rarely water them.

--
Tim C.
Old 21-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Hi Jenny

private address/raspberry thread

yes - I do have one but not sure how to give it to you without getting loads of spam - I don't use a newsreader as my computer skills are so inadequate that I can't work out how to access them, despite lots of help from previous posts;(( But would be very happy to chat to other gardeners in the Dordogne

jay jay

Yields of raspberries and blueberries WCD Edible Gardening 0 14-05-2003 07:44 PM
Asparagus and raspberries..will they coexist? Scott Edible Gardening 1 13-05-2003 12:56 PM
Blueberries and Raspberries Bob Lawns 0 27-04-2003 01:44 PM
Thorn-free raspberries? Minteeleaf Edible Gardening 2 14-02-2003 04:27 PM
How do I grow raspberries and blueberries? lcain Edible Gardening 5 11-02-2003 04:25 AM