Old 22-06-2005, 03:14 AM
Jim Lewis

Kitsune Miko wrote:
I have galls or bulb like growth on my crabs and
hawthorns. I was told they were caused by mealy bugs.
You can see the bugs in their cottony mass on stems
and roots (if I don't catch it quick enough)

Kits

--- Steve wachs wrote:

Mealy bugs are insects and the galls are one of the
symptoms of rust which is a fungus. I am not sure
what you are asking

Galls are formed BY THE PLANT in response to an injury or
disease. They are the plant's attempt to wall away whatever
is bothering it.

MOST galls are caused by insects. Mealy bugs are sucking
insects and damage plants by sticking their proboscus(es)
through the "skin" of the plant and suck out the juices.
I've never heard of a mealy bug being walled away by a
plant, but I suppose it could happen. Mites and midges and
other tiny insects are often walled off by galls.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++