Old 20-06-2005, 04:47 AM
Kitsune Miko

YES! They are two different problems, how do you tell
the difference?

Kits

--- Steve wachs wrote:

I think you have 2 different problems there. mealy
bugs would need a
different treatment than a rust problem , what I am
getting from these threads.

SteveW
Long Island NY

I have galls or bulb like growth on my crabs and
hawthorns. I was told they were caused by mealy
bugs.
You can see the bugs in their cottony mass on stems
and roots (if I don't catch it quick enough)

Kits

++++Sponsored, in part, by Kevin
Bailey++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 20-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Nina

Root aphids cause galls on the roots of crabapples; they do indeed nest
in cottony masses. The important thing to know is that the root aphid
on apple is called the "Woolly elm aphid". COnfusing? No; it feeds on
elms above-ground. And the only insecticides labelled for use against
them are for above-ground elm feeders. Last time I checked (and we've
covered this topic many times), there is no legal treatment for root
infestations. So either do something illegal, or bare-root the plant,
wash it throughly to remove all the aphids, and repot in fresh potting
media. If you have elms in your yard, you will have a continuuing
problem. And if you collect crabs from nature, you will often start
with infested material.

Kitsune Miko wrote:
How do mealy bugs fit into this picture of galls on
trunks??
Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 22-06-2005, 03:14 AM
Jim Lewis

Kitsune Miko wrote:
I have galls or bulb like growth on my crabs and
hawthorns. I was told they were caused by mealy bugs.
You can see the bugs in their cottony mass on stems
and roots (if I don't catch it quick enough)

Kits

--- Steve wachs wrote:

Mealy bugs are insects and the galls are one of the
symptoms of rust which is a fungus. I am not sure
what you are asking

Galls are formed BY THE PLANT in response to an injury or
disease. They are the plant's attempt to wall away whatever
is bothering it.

MOST galls are caused by insects. Mealy bugs are sucking
insects and damage plants by sticking their proboscus(es)
through the "skin" of the plant and suck out the juices.
I've never heard of a mealy bug being walled away by a
plant, but I suppose it could happen. Mites and midges and
other tiny insects are often walled off by galls.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature