Old 22-06-2005, 09:47 AM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:45:47 +0100, "Mike"
wrote:

Hi; Can anyone guide.
We live in the southeast and have a medium size garden.
We were looking at planting some 3-4 fruit trees and needed some guidance.
-which trees to select. We were looking at Pear,plum, cherry and grape.
-Is this month suitable or which is the correct month to do the planting.
-Any guidance where we can buy these trees at a good value for money.
Mike

Not sure about varieties but I bought my fruit trees bare rooted from
Buckingham Nurseries - www.hedging.co.uk and was very pleased with
them. It's completely the wrong time of year to be planting bare
rooted now - you need to do it when they're dormant. You could still
plant container grown trees but it's getting a bit hot to even be
doing that now and they cost a lot more and there's much less choice.

Interested you list grape - I'm sure you know it's a vine not a tree -
but makes me wonder if one could be trained that way - just like
wisteria can. Hmm.

PS. The varieties I chose after reading the catalogue thoroughly we

Pear, Invincible - Maiden
Plum, Early Transparent - Maiden
Cherry, Stella - Maiden on giesla 5
Apple, Arther Turner - Maiden Br