Old 22-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Mike

Default Fruit trees

Hi; Can anyone guide.
We live in the southeast and have a medium size garden.
We were looking at planting some 3-4 fruit trees and needed some guidance.
-which trees to select. We were looking at Pear,plum, cherry and grape.
-Is this month suitable or which is the correct month to do the planting.
-Any guidance where we can buy these trees at a good value for money.
Mike

Old 22-06-2005, 09:47 AM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:45:47 +0100, "Mike"
wrote:

Hi; Can anyone guide.
We live in the southeast and have a medium size garden.
We were looking at planting some 3-4 fruit trees and needed some guidance.
-which trees to select. We were looking at Pear,plum, cherry and grape.
-Is this month suitable or which is the correct month to do the planting.
-Any guidance where we can buy these trees at a good value for money.
Mike

Not sure about varieties but I bought my fruit trees bare rooted from
Buckingham Nurseries - www.hedging.co.uk and was very pleased with
them. It's completely the wrong time of year to be planting bare
rooted now - you need to do it when they're dormant. You could still
plant container grown trees but it's getting a bit hot to even be
doing that now and they cost a lot more and there's much less choice.

Interested you list grape - I'm sure you know it's a vine not a tree -
but makes me wonder if one could be trained that way - just like
wisteria can. Hmm.

PS. The varieties I chose after reading the catalogue thoroughly we

Pear, Invincible - Maiden
Plum, Early Transparent - Maiden
Cherry, Stella - Maiden on giesla 5
Apple, Arther Turner - Maiden Br
Apple, Winter Gem - Maiden Br

Old 22-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Broadback

wrote:

Hi; Can anyone guide.
We live in the southeast and have a medium size garden.
We were looking at planting some 3-4 fruit trees and needed some guidance.
-which trees to select. We were looking at Pear,plum, cherry and grape.
-Is this month suitable or which is the correct month to do the planting.
-Any guidance where we can buy these trees at a good value for money.
Mike

SNIP
Not sure about varieties but I bought my fruit trees bare rooted from
Buckingham Nurseries -
www.hedging.co.uk and was very pleased with
them. It's completely the wrong time of year to be planting bare
rooted now - you need to do it when they're dormant. You could still
plant container grown trees but it's getting a bit hot to even be
doing that now and they cost a lot more and there's much less choice.

Snip
PS. The varieties I chose after reading the catalogue thoroughly we

Pear, Invincible - Maiden
Plum, Early Transparent - Maiden
Cherry, Stella - Maiden on giesla 5
Apple, Arther Turner - Maiden Br
Apple, Winter Gem - Maiden Br

It is definitely preferable to plant bare root trees in the Winter than
potted ones at any time. I had a tree damaged by a contractor, and he
replaced it with a potted one, larger than those already planted. Now
just 18 months later the bare rooted are much larger.
As for source, there are several reliable ones on the net, and will all
happily give you advice for type and variety in your area. Having said
that I bought some from a local (South Cheshire) grower, who was able to
give advice from experience.

Old 22-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Hi; Can anyone guide.
We live in the southeast and have a medium size garden.
We were looking at planting some 3-4 fruit trees and needed some guidance.
-which trees to select. We were looking at Pear,

No view. Personally I'd have an apple: they keep better. The trouble
with pears is that you're eating them till they come out of your ears,
and unless you preserve some and/or make perry, most get wasted.

plum,

Have you thought of a 'family tree'? (say) Mirabelle, damson, and
another? You can make sure you have a pollinator amongst them that way.

cherry

I favour morello - I like their tartness when fresh, their freshness
when tarted, and steeped in rum they are something to die for.

Stella is a pale cherry which crops well and reliably.

and grape.

Well, you'll have to provide some more information about where you
propose planting it.

-Is this month suitable or which is the correct month to do the planting.
-Any guidance where we can buy these trees at a good value for money.

Well, personally, I'd wait until the leaves are off the trees before planting.

The vine you can plant any time - they nearly always come potted.
Remember, grape vines need *LOTS* of water. They'll send roots down
looking for it, and eventually, you won't need to keep the soil round
them moist.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 22-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Kay

In article , Mike
writes
Hi; Can anyone guide.
We live in the southeast and have a medium size garden.
We were looking at planting some 3-4 fruit trees and needed some guidance.
-which trees to select. We were looking at Pear,plum, cherry and grape.
-Is this month suitable or which is the correct month to do the planting.
-Any guidance where we can buy these trees at a good value for money.

The pear will need a pollinator - ie you need two pear trees.

Apple trees are the same, but you can get 'family trees' where two or
three varieties of apple have been grafted on to one rootstock and will
pollinate each other - don't know whether the same is available for
pears. It will restrict your choice of varieties, though.

Bare-rooted trees - ie grown in the ground and dug up for sale - need
planting in the dormant months, preferably autumn or spring. But many
varieties are also available grown in containers, and these can be
planted any time of year. You will need to water generously all through
the summer.
--
Kay

Old 24-06-2005, 12:16 AM
Registered User

[quote=Kay]In article , Mike
writes
Hi; Can anyone guide.
We live in the southeast and have a medium size garden.
We were looking at planting some 3-4 fruit trees and needed some guidance.
-which trees to select. We were looking at Pear,plum, cherry and grape.
-Is this month suitable or which is the correct month to do the planting.
-Any guidance where we can buy these trees at a good value for money.

Try
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk

They sell bare rooted trees and have loads, there also near to you. I got mine from them (plum jubileum , apple charles ross)

Though the charles ross was an error (ordered a james grieve, but was happy with it so kept it)

The apple is doing really well, the plums a bit stressed.

Ask the nursery for advice. If youve got room for a few trees Id have a couple of safe bets (apples) and whichever fruit you like best (plum, cherry, i could quite happily eat them till they come out of my ears) I shall probably try and grow a cherry as a fan next.

Ed
Old 24-06-2005, 05:46 AM
Kay

In article , gasdoctor gasdoctor.1
writes

Kay Wrote:

None of the below - please can you be more careful with your
attributions?

Old 16-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Clifford

Mike,
I am not a fan of family trees, they are a compromise for space. In my
opinion, far better to put more trees in on a dwarfing rootstock.
For Pears (and apples) why not consider growing them as cordons, they
are great as their spacing is less 2 1/2 -3 ft. If you by the trees as
maidens, 1yr old, you can develope them yourself and save quite a bit
on plants too. As they can be planted closer together you can have a
greater variety of fruit. Once the plant as reached 6ft in length, it
is generally stopped. The pruning of cordons is much easier than for
bush trees and whats more you can reach it easily.
If you go down the cordon route for pears, make sure that you use
Quince A or C rootstock.
As already mentioned Stella is good variety. The thing with cherries
is they want (the tree has a desire) to be a big tree unless you grow
it as a trained form along wires. There is a nice example at RHS
Wisley.
If you want to grow grapes why not take a visit to one of the vineyards
and see how they grow theirs. You can see the woody structure of the
vine, it is almost tree like on the main stem with the vines coming off
the woody structure. If you visit Wisley they have small vineyard there
too.
Good luck