Old 22-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Broadback

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:45:47 +0100, "Mike"
wrote:

Hi; Can anyone guide.
We live in the southeast and have a medium size garden.
We were looking at planting some 3-4 fruit trees and needed some guidance.
-which trees to select. We were looking at Pear,plum, cherry and grape.
-Is this month suitable or which is the correct month to do the planting.
-Any guidance where we can buy these trees at a good value for money.
Mike

SNIP
Not sure about varieties but I bought my fruit trees bare rooted from
Buckingham Nurseries -
www.hedging.co.uk and was very pleased with
them. It's completely the wrong time of year to be planting bare
rooted now - you need to do it when they're dormant. You could still
plant container grown trees but it's getting a bit hot to even be
doing that now and they cost a lot more and there's much less choice.

Snip
PS. The varieties I chose after reading the catalogue thoroughly we

Pear, Invincible - Maiden
Plum, Early Transparent - Maiden
Cherry, Stella - Maiden on giesla 5
Apple, Arther Turner - Maiden Br
Apple, Winter Gem - Maiden Br

It is definitely preferable to plant bare root trees in the Winter than
potted ones at any time. I had a tree damaged by a contractor, and he
replaced it with a potted one, larger than those already planted. Now
just 18 months later the bare rooted are much larger.
As for source, there are several reliable ones on the net, and will all
happily give you advice for type and variety in your area. Having said
that I bought some from a local (South Cheshire) grower, who was able to
give advice from experience.