Old 27-10-2002, 11:24 AM
Jane Ransom

Default Scarifying

In article , hugh
] writes
And I should ignore most of it. The critical questions a
1. Is the lawn so wet that working on it or moving machinery across it
would damage it?
2. Are frosts imminent?
If the answer to both is no then I would go ahead and scarify. Getting
rid of moss and dead grass (thatch) will do more good than harm. Grass
is very resilient although it will look a bit of a mess for a while if
you can't get on it later to cut it - see points 1 and 2 above again.

You have two choices -
1. do it now if above conditions are met
2. wait until next spring

The results of either will not be apparent until next summer.

I think the results will be better if you wait until next spring.

You could always try an experiment for us.
Do half your lawn now, and half next spring and let us know if there is
any difference next summer )))))))))))))
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,