Old 22-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Kay

In article , Mike
writes
Hi; Can anyone guide.
We live in the southeast and have a medium size garden.
We were looking at planting some 3-4 fruit trees and needed some guidance.
-which trees to select. We were looking at Pear,plum, cherry and grape.
-Is this month suitable or which is the correct month to do the planting.
-Any guidance where we can buy these trees at a good value for money.

The pear will need a pollinator - ie you need two pear trees.

Apple trees are the same, but you can get 'family trees' where two or
three varieties of apple have been grafted on to one rootstock and will
pollinate each other - don't know whether the same is available for
pears. It will restrict your choice of varieties, though.

Bare-rooted trees - ie grown in the ground and dug up for sale - need
planting in the dormant months, preferably autumn or spring. But many
varieties are also available grown in containers, and these can be
planted any time of year. You will need to water generously all through
the summer.
--
Kay