Old 22-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Bob Hobden

Rusty wrote after...
"Bob Hobden wrote ...

I am growing Long Green Bush Marrow; Vegetable spaghetti and Butternut
squash. Does one need to remove the male flowers from these plants,
please?

If you remove the male flowers you will get no fruit, the female flowers
will remain unpollinated and the embryonic fruit underneath will simply
wither and drop off.
What made you ask the question?

Cucumbers, presumably. They're closely realated, so it seems a
reasonable sort of question to ask if you don't know.

True, I grow the old fashioned outside (ridge) cucumbers which you leave
male flowers on too. Excellent flavour, taste of cucumber! :-)

--
Regards
Bob