Old 21-06-2005, 08:31 PM
compo

Default Marrow and Squash flowers

I am growing Long Green Bush Marrow; Vegetable spaghetti and Butternut
squash. Does one need to remove the male flowers from these plants,
please?

--
Cheers,
Compo - Take out Nora Batty before
Old 21-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:31:52 +0100, compo
wrote:

I am growing Long Green Bush Marrow; Vegetable spaghetti and Butternut
squash. Does one need to remove the male flowers from these plants,
please?

No.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 21-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Bob Hobden

"compo" wrote ...
I am growing Long Green Bush Marrow; Vegetable spaghetti and Butternut
squash. Does one need to remove the male flowers from these plants,
please?

If you remove the male flowers you will get no fruit, the female flowers
will remain unpollinated and the embryonic fruit underneath will simply
wither and drop off.
What made you ask the question?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 22-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:
"compo" wrote ...

I am growing Long Green Bush Marrow; Vegetable spaghetti and Butternut
squash. Does one need to remove the male flowers from these plants,
please?

If you remove the male flowers you will get no fruit, the female flowers
will remain unpollinated and the embryonic fruit underneath will simply
wither and drop off.
What made you ask the question?

Cucumbers, presumably. They're closely realated, so it seems a
reasonable sort of question to ask if you don't know.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Bob Hobden

Rusty wrote after...
"Bob Hobden wrote ...

I am growing Long Green Bush Marrow; Vegetable spaghetti and Butternut
squash. Does one need to remove the male flowers from these plants,
please?

If you remove the male flowers you will get no fruit, the female flowers
will remain unpollinated and the embryonic fruit underneath will simply
wither and drop off.
What made you ask the question?

Cucumbers, presumably. They're closely realated, so it seems a
reasonable sort of question to ask if you don't know.

True, I grow the old fashioned outside (ridge) cucumbers which you leave
male flowers on too. Excellent flavour, taste of cucumber! :-)

Old 23-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

I grow the old fashioned outside (ridge) cucumbers which you leave
male flowers on too. Excellent flavour, taste of cucumber! :-)

Yes, I prefer those to the - er - telegraph pole shaped ones.

Old 23-06-2005, 11:27 PM
compo

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

If you remove the male flowers you will get no fruit, the female flowers
will remain unpollinated and the embryonic fruit underneath will simply
wither and drop off.
What made you ask the question?

Cucumbers, presumably.

--
Rusty

Correct! I usually grow all female cumbers but this year they have all
died from the very cold late Spring weather up here. As replacements I
bought a 26p packet of Lidl's "remove the male flowers" cucumber seeds
and all are so far doing well. The question arose because the
difference prompted me to wonder if this was why I only had a couple of
butternut squash females develop last year.

--
Cheers,
Compo
Old 24-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from compo contains these words:

Correct! I usually grow all female cumbers but this year they have all
died from the very cold late Spring weather up here. As replacements I
bought a 26p packet of Lidl's "remove the male flowers" cucumber seeds
and all are so far doing well. The question arose because the
difference prompted me to wonder if this was why I only had a couple of
butternut squash females develop last year.

Nah. It's living in the Arctic wot does it. Marrows and squashes are
Mediterranean plants, and the top bit of Scotland is a bit outwith their
preferred climate - though I did grow some good marrows one year on the
Isle of Lewis, that island does paddle in the Golf Scream.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Marrow, Ginger and Lemon Jam Recipe David in Normandy[_8_] United Kingdom 1 17-09-2010 03:18 PM
Marrow Mike United Kingdom 16 01-08-2006 09:37 PM
marrow problem R United Kingdom 6 06-06-2003 11:08 AM
marrow problem R United Kingdom 0 05-06-2003 08:44 AM
( OT..ish ) Marrow Harrow Stephen Howard United Kingdom 14 13-01-2003 10:27 AM