Old 23-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Jonathan" contains these words:

Been round Homebase, Aldi, Argos, B&Q and Tesco, and can't find a
full stretchy out deckchair lounger type thing!

[...]
To me, a deckchair is the old-fashioned hand-trapping
sudden-collapsing wooden-frame folding thing with a canvas sling
seat.You can't lie right down though.

I think Habitat and maybe The Pier still sell deckchairs.

The ingenious hand-trapping and finger-chopping feature is why I'd
never have an old-fashioned deckchair, especially in a garden visited
by children. The front bar tended to give me pins and needles, too. A
pity that more complex designs like old-style "steamer chairs" are so
much more expensive, but I think it's worth it.

A seafaring great-great uncle used to put screws in the family's
deckchairs so they couldn't be folded.

--
Mike.