Old 23-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Jonathan

Default What's with the derth of deckchairs?!?

Been round Homebase, Aldi, Argos, B&Q and Tesco, and can't find a full
stretchy out deckchair lounger type thing!
(when I asked at one of those massive Tescos, which had about 150,000 other
items of garden furniture, bloke said "haven't seen them in here for a
while".)
Somewhere in the back of my head, do I recall something about them being
banned because dullards kept folding themselves in?
Actually, I did find ONE at B&Q, but it was only half-folding, and had about
9" of really hot looking padding on it.
I just want a simple plastic deckbed/chair! Any ideas?

Old 23-06-2005, 12:41 PM
mogga

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:30:50 +0100, "JB" wrote:

Lidl. Next week. £14.99

JB

They had them in lild the other day.

--
http://searchfreebies.co.uk/freebies/index.php
freebies blog
Old 23-06-2005, 01:17 PM
PJ

mogga wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:30:50 +0100, "JB" wrote:

Lidl. Next week. £14.99

JB

They had them in lild the other day.

Or Lidl today.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p...amping_Lounger
Old 23-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Chris Bacon

PJ wrote:
http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p...amping_Lounger

A *deck chair*? ("The Importance Of Being Earnest")

Not like:

http://www.conran-restaurants.co.uk/...air-227964.jpg

??

Old 23-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Klara

In message , Jonathan
writes
Been round Homebase, Aldi, Argos, B&Q and Tesco, and can't find a full
stretchy out deckchair lounger type thing!

Snip
I just want a simple plastic deckbed/chair! Any ideas?

The Wedding Garden Company has one for £2300!

then again

Argos has a Torino lounger for £6.49!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 23-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Klara

In message , Jonathan
writes
I just want a simple plastic deckbed/chair!

And I just noticed ... Argos also has a "Valencia Multi-Position
Relaxer" for £4.99!

And a rocking one - "Jeep Hammock/Rocking Cot" - for £23.99

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 23-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Jonathan" contains these words:

Been round Homebase, Aldi, Argos, B&Q and Tesco, and can't find a full
stretchy out deckchair lounger type thing!
(when I asked at one of those massive Tescos, which had about 150,000 other
items of garden furniture, bloke said "haven't seen them in here for a
while".)
Somewhere in the back of my head, do I recall something about them being
banned because dullards kept folding themselves in?
Actually, I did find ONE at B&Q, but it was only half-folding, and had
about
9" of really hot looking padding on it.
I just want a simple plastic deckbed/chair! Any ideas?

Do you mean a sunlounger/sunbed, a folding thing you can lie down on
flat at full length?

To me, a deckchair is the old-fashioned hand-trapping sudden-collapsing
wooden-frame folding thing with a canvas sling seat.You can't lie right
down though.

I think Habitat and maybe The Pier still sell deckchairs.

Janet.

Old 23-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Jonathan" contains these words:

Been round Homebase, Aldi, Argos, B&Q and Tesco, and can't find a
full stretchy out deckchair lounger type thing!

[...]
To me, a deckchair is the old-fashioned hand-trapping
sudden-collapsing wooden-frame folding thing with a canvas sling
seat.You can't lie right down though.

I think Habitat and maybe The Pier still sell deckchairs.

The ingenious hand-trapping and finger-chopping feature is why I'd
never have an old-fashioned deckchair, especially in a garden visited
by children. The front bar tended to give me pins and needles, too. A
pity that more complex designs like old-style "steamer chairs" are so
much more expensive, but I think it's worth it.

A seafaring great-great uncle used to put screws in the family's
deckchairs so they couldn't be folded.

--
Mike.

Old 23-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Jonathan

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , Jonathan
writes
I just want a simple plastic deckbed/chair!

And I just noticed ... Argos also has a "Valencia Multi-Position Relaxer"
for £4.99!

Wow! Got the last one in the store, dammit. Nothing left in nearby stores
either, dammit. Would've had 4 at that price.
I didn't think of using the word "lounger" when searching Argos before,
would've probably had more left.
I paid £17 for some crappy tubular steel thing in Makro earlier, oh well,
live and learn!

Top tip, thanks.

Old 23-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

The ingenious hand-trapping and finger-chopping feature is why I'd
never have an old-fashioned deckchair, especially in a garden visited
by children.

Well, we've had them for decades without a fatality:-). I used to put
out the deckchairs along with rugs and cushions on the grass for kids if
they wanted to roll around. They got the message that deckchairs were
for grown-up quiet sitting, a privilege which one or other would
occasionally copy, and nobody ever got folded up or finger-trapped.

Janet.
Old 23-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Klara

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
The ingenious hand-trapping and finger-chopping feature is why I'd
never have an old-fashioned deckchair, especially in a garden visited
by children. The front bar tended to give me pins and needles, too. A
pity that more complex designs like old-style "steamer chairs" are so
much more expensive, but I think it's worth it.

I will never ever forget the heart-stopping moment when I was 17 and my
cousin, 18, was following some exciting match on the radio while sitting
in a deck-chair ... the more exciting it got, the more he bounced ...
goal! And the chair collapsed, trapping his finger ...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 24-06-2005, 04:11 PM
pammyT

-- "Jonathan" wrote in message
Been round Homebase, Aldi, Argos, B&Q and Tesco, and can't find a full
stretchy out deckchair lounger type thing!
(when I asked at one of those massive Tescos, which had about 150,000

other
items of garden furniture, bloke said "haven't seen them in here for a
while".)
Somewhere in the back of my head, do I recall something about them being
banned because dullards kept folding themselves in?
Actually, I did find ONE at B&Q, but it was only half-folding, and had

about
9" of really hot looking padding on it.
I just want a simple plastic deckbed/chair! Any ideas?

There is a modern looking deck chair thing in QD I noticed in the window
today. Twas only £6.99 I think. Failing that the argos sunlounger.
ASDA have a similar one in store at £10.79 and they will offer a price
promise so I'm going to get one next week and take my argos catalogue with
me to get £4 knocked off it :-)