Old 24-06-2005, 12:35 AM

Default spike support question

I still haven't gotten around to repotting my phal, but it is
definitely on the agenda for next week. I can't locate anybody who
sells ProMix HP -- I can only find the straight, ProMix. I guess
that's what I'll have to use.

Of course the minute I started posting about repotting I saw a new
spike starting. I was pretty sure it was a spike because it didn't
look at all like a new leaf, but I didn't want to be cocky and post
here that "Yippee! I've got a new spike.!"

Well I can now officially make that proclamation. The spike is about
15 cm tall. So now the question is what do I do with it? (And is it
safe to repot in this condition?)

The phal originally came with a small dragonfly clip, but it looks too
small to go around the stake and not put too much pressure on the new
growth, so I nixed that idea.

It also came with those generic green twist ties. Now I tried one of
those as loosely as I possibly could -- i.e. wrapped tightly around
the stake with the spike resting against a loose loop formed by the
loose ends, but I'm not happy with that approach. Where the spike
comes in contact with the twist tie, it leaves a mark (a scar) on the
plant -- and as I said, the tie isn't firmly or tightly around the
inflorescence. The spike is just brushing against it for support.

I'm ready to get out cotton balls and attach them to the twist ties,
but before I took that extreme (and extremely sad) step I thought I
would turn to the experts once again.
--Vic