Old 23-06-2005, 11:33 PM
datsy

I recently planted a avocado sone and the thing has sprouted

However I have absolutely no idea how to keep it

Any suggestions??

It makes a rather dull houseplant if you pinch out the growing tip
above open leaves to keep it bushy. Apart from that, no special
treatment. You may get it to fruit in a few years' time if your
greenhouse is nice and warm and seventy feet high.

Mine is now a couple of years old and about 2 feet high. I rather like the
large leaves on it so wouldn't agree that it's dull. I have tried pinching
out the growing tip but it continues to grow as just one shoot rather than
bushing out. Had one before which didn't have the tip pinched out and it
just kept growing and growing and.......... Yes, it did become a bit dull,
but then died anyway because it was continually in draught. I just water
mine once a week.