Old 23-06-2005, 08:48 PM
r.bartlett

Default avocado

Hi guy's

I recently planted a avocado sone and the thing has sprouted

However I have absolutely no idea how to keep it

Any suggestions??

Cheers

Richard

Old 23-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Mike Lyle

r.bartlett wrote:
Hi guy's

I recently planted a avocado sone and the thing has sprouted

However I have absolutely no idea how to keep it

Any suggestions??

It makes a rather dull houseplant if you pinch out the growing tip
above open leaves to keep it bushy. Apart from that, no special
treatment. You may get it to fruit in a few years' time if your
greenhouse is nice and warm and seventy feet high.

--
Mike.

Old 23-06-2005, 11:33 PM
datsy

I recently planted a avocado sone and the thing has sprouted

However I have absolutely no idea how to keep it

Any suggestions??

It makes a rather dull houseplant if you pinch out the growing tip
above open leaves to keep it bushy. Apart from that, no special
treatment. You may get it to fruit in a few years' time if your
greenhouse is nice and warm and seventy feet high.

Mine is now a couple of years old and about 2 feet high. I rather like the
large leaves on it so wouldn't agree that it's dull. I have tried pinching
out the growing tip but it continues to grow as just one shoot rather than
bushing out. Had one before which didn't have the tip pinched out and it
just kept growing and growing and.......... Yes, it did become a bit dull,
but then died anyway because it was continually in draught. I just water
mine once a week.

Old 24-06-2005, 12:31 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "r.bartlett" contains these words:

I recently planted a avocado sone and the thing has sprouted

However I have absolutely no idea how to keep it

Any suggestions??

Depends where you are. There's at least one mature tree growing in a
London garden.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 24-06-2005, 06:23 AM
r.bartlett

That's a shame -I was all proud 'n everyfink

Cheers

Richard

Old 24-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "r.bartlett" contains these words:

That's a shame -I was all proud 'n everyfink

The mature trees are quite pleasant - why not keep it for a few years
and then harden it off and try it in a sheltered spot? (Assuming you
have one!)

Old 24-06-2005, 03:49 PM
r.bartlett

:

That's a shame -I was all proud 'n everyfink

The mature trees are quite pleasant - why not keep it for a few years
and then harden it off and try it in a sheltered spot? (Assuming you
have one!)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

As it stands it's sprouting in a plant pot on the kitchen window ledge

I shall keep it there till it out grows that.

Not sure how I 'harden' a plant but I have both a sheltered spot eithr in
the sun or not..

Cheers

Richard

Old 24-06-2005, 06:41 PM
p.k.

datsy wrote:
I recently planted a avocado sone and the thing has sprouted

However I have absolutely no idea how to keep it

Any suggestions??

It makes a rather dull houseplant if you pinch out the growing tip
above open leaves to keep it bushy. Apart from that, no special
treatment. You may get it to fruit in a few years' time if your
greenhouse is nice and warm and seventy feet high.

Mine is now a couple of years old and about 2 feet high. I rather
like the large leaves on it so wouldn't agree that it's dull. I have
tried pinching out the growing tip but it continues to grow as just
one shoot rather than bushing out. Had one before which didn't have
the tip pinched out and it just kept growing and growing
and.......... Yes, it did become a bit dull, but then died anyway
because it was continually in draught. I just water mine once a week.

if you try sprouting lots of seed you will eventually fine one that breaks
as multiple shoots from the seed, that will grow in bush from and not with
he ever skyward reaching leader.

Old 24-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "r.bartlett" contains these words:

I shall keep it there till it out grows that.

Not sure how I 'harden' a plant but I have both a sheltered spot eithr in
the sun or not..

Sun would be ideal

Harden it by putting it outside in its pot over winter, but bringing it
in if the temperature falls (or is expected to fall) below zero.

Plant out in the spring and keep your fingers crossed next winter or three.

It would help to dig a fairly large hole and sling in a lot of old
bones, and mix bonemeal and compost into the earth you replace after
you've put the tree in.

You can help your chances by making a mini-greenhouse or tall
bell-cloche to cover it in during cold snaps until it gets too big.

I have a three foot acocado waiting for just that treatment.

Old 24-06-2005, 10:51 PM
r.bartlett

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Many thanks for the excellent advice

I shall follow it to the letter ;-)

Cheers

Richard

Old 25-06-2005, 01:34 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "r.bartlett" contains these words:

Many thanks for the excellent advice

I shall follow it to the letter ;-)

Tell me when you do it so I can fortify my house after a cold snap...

Outside avocados were discussed on GQT, and it was reckoned that
mature-ish trees should survive OK, except in very cold areas, and a
letter was read out subsequently about the 20 foot (IIRC) tree in a
London garden.

Avocado Plant David DeMar Gardening 6 03-06-2008 11:26 PM
Avocado cultivar that can be grown indoors rusty Plant Biology 1 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
avocado query whiteMemphis Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Avocado in Zone 6 Mark Edible Gardening 2 12-03-2003 10:56 AM
where can I get a sharwill avocado in So. Cal? PhilKryder Gardening 0 28-01-2003 02:29 AM