Old 24-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from compo contains these words:

Correct! I usually grow all female cumbers but this year they have all
died from the very cold late Spring weather up here. As replacements I
bought a 26p packet of Lidl's "remove the male flowers" cucumber seeds
and all are so far doing well. The question arose because the
difference prompted me to wonder if this was why I only had a couple of
butternut squash females develop last year.

Nah. It's living in the Arctic wot does it. Marrows and squashes are
Mediterranean plants, and the top bit of Scotland is a bit outwith their
preferred climate - though I did grow some good marrows one year on the
Isle of Lewis, that island does paddle in the Golf Scream.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/