Old 24-06-2005, 12:22 PM
David Bockman

Boboed wrote in
:

While searching Ebay for my Mantis tiller I stumbled across
many listings for praying mantis eggs. Some of these specify that they
are Asian mantises. Searching the web for that it appears this is a
species relatively easy to raise in captivity. There are many of these
raised and shipped around the states. This seems to me like it might
be a bad idea....comments?
On another search for hummingbirds one page was of a hummer
captured by a huge mantis, in the Carolinas I think. Wonder if it was
a native mantis or something else.

No, not a bad idea as far as I know. Here in Virginia, the Asian species of
Mantis share the environment with our native Mantis with no ill effects. I
don't know if they intermingle or not.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums