Old 24-06-2005, 03:25 AM
Boboed

Default Asian Mantis...Invasive?

While searching Ebay for my Mantis tiller I stumbled across
many listings for praying mantis eggs. Some of these specify that they
are Asian mantises. Searching the web for that it appears this is a
species relatively easy to raise in captivity. There are many of these
raised and shipped around the states. This seems to me like it might
be a bad idea....comments?
On another search for hummingbirds one page was of a hummer
captured by a huge mantis, in the Carolinas I think. Wonder if it was
a native mantis or something else.

Old 24-06-2005, 12:22 PM
David Bockman

Boboed wrote in
:

While searching Ebay for my Mantis tiller I stumbled across
many listings for praying mantis eggs. Some of these specify that they
are Asian mantises. Searching the web for that it appears this is a
species relatively easy to raise in captivity. There are many of these
raised and shipped around the states. This seems to me like it might
be a bad idea....comments?
On another search for hummingbirds one page was of a hummer
captured by a huge mantis, in the Carolinas I think. Wonder if it was
a native mantis or something else.

No, not a bad idea as far as I know. Here in Virginia, the Asian species of
Mantis share the environment with our native Mantis with no ill effects. I
don't know if they intermingle or not.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

[IMG] code is On

need non-invasive plant for front slope. sams Gardening 1 13-10-2003 02:02 AM
how invasive is your water celery? mike miller Ponds 4 29-05-2003 03:32 PM
All bamboo invasive? justnews Bamboo 6 02-03-2003 10:03 AM
Plant with a invasive root ? United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 09:01 PM
Plant with a invasive root ? eddy United Kingdom 2 04-02-2003 11:05 PM