Old 25-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Snoddywig,

You probably don't have a crucian carp (Carassius carassius), because these
species don't have barbels, unlike KOI, and are not very big getting only
about 7 pounds max and about 18 inches in length.

KOI are usually considered to be from Cyprinus carpio that can weigh up to
14kg and be close to a meter in length. You probably have one that is this
species.

I am not a KOI person, but I thought the Ghost KOI were supposedly the jet
black fish that blends with the black liners and thus the name Ghost KOI.

In any event, you have a big fish in your pond and it will probably do all
right, as long as you don't over stock you pond. Just remember if something
happens (loss of electricity and filter stopping and oxygen levels fall) the
big fish always die first.

Tom L.L.

"Snoddywig" wrote in message

Some years ago, we bought what were supposed to be baby ghost koi. Two
survived, one a typical ghost koi silver & white in colour.
The second one (Jaws) just grew and grew and looks more like a crusian
carp than anything else.
We made the pond bigger - but he grew and grew. He is now about three
feet in length and is in a pond which is five feet wide at the widest
end and about 12 feet long x 3 feet deep.
I worry about Jaws. Can't make the pond any bigger and I would hate to
think that it was cruel to keep him in too small a space.
Anyone got any idea as to how big a pond he really needs?

--
Snoddywig