Old 24-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Registered User

Question Large carp -smallish pond

Some years ago, we bought what were supposed to be baby ghost koi. Two survived, one a typical ghost koi silver & white in colour.
The second one (Jaws) just grew and grew and looks more like a crusian carp than anything else.
We made the pond bigger - but he grew and grew. He is now about three feet in length and is in a pond which is five feet wide at the widest end and about 12 feet long x 3 feet deep.
I worry about Jaws. Can't make the pond any bigger and I would hate to think that it was cruel to keep him in too small a space.
Anyone got any idea as to how big a pond he really needs?
Old 24-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Snoddywig" wrote in message

Some years ago, we bought what were supposed to be baby ghost koi. Two
survived, one a typical ghost koi silver & white in colour.
The second one (Jaws) just grew and grew and looks more like a crusian
carp than anything else.
We made the pond bigger - but he grew and grew. He is now about three
feet in length and is in a pond which is five feet wide at the widest
end and about 12 feet long x 3 feet deep.
I worry about Jaws. Can't make the pond any bigger and I would hate to
think that it was cruel to keep him in too small a space.
Anyone got any idea as to how big a pond he really needs?

============================
I would think a minimum of around 1000 gallons.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 24-06-2005, 10:42 PM
~Roy~

So on that statement then he should be good to go as his pond has
approx 1346 gallons in it already.......I hav seen large fish as such
kept in much smaller ponds, and provided they are maintained they do
well..........not everyone can afford to build a humongous pond. I
seriously doubrt he is gonna get that much bigger, and if he is doing
fine, and want to keep it, i would get rid of the opther fish, or find
a home for the larger one, like a public park with a koi pond or
perhaps a farm pond etc............

As ong as he can turn around and is in good health I would stick with
what is working for you and if the occasion ever arrises that someone
would give it a good home with larger conditons go for it. Sounds like
your doing fine though so far with the way things already are, so why
change. Fish adapt pretty well.

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:11:40 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
wrote:

===
==="Snoddywig" wrote in message
.. .
===
=== Some years ago, we bought what were supposed to be baby ghost koi. Two
=== survived, one a typical ghost koi silver & white in colour.
=== The second one (Jaws) just grew and grew and looks more like a crusian
=== carp than anything else.
=== We made the pond bigger - but he grew and grew. He is now about three
=== feet in length and is in a pond which is five feet wide at the widest
=== end and about 12 feet long x 3 feet deep.
=== I worry about Jaws. Can't make the pond any bigger and I would hate to
=== think that it was cruel to keep him in too small a space.
=== Anyone got any idea as to how big a pond he really needs?
===============================
===I would think a minimum of around 1000 gallons.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 25-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Snoddywig,

You probably don't have a crucian carp (Carassius carassius), because these
species don't have barbels, unlike KOI, and are not very big getting only
about 7 pounds max and about 18 inches in length.

KOI are usually considered to be from Cyprinus carpio that can weigh up to
14kg and be close to a meter in length. You probably have one that is this
species.

I am not a KOI person, but I thought the Ghost KOI were supposedly the jet
black fish that blends with the black liners and thus the name Ghost KOI.

In any event, you have a big fish in your pond and it will probably do all
right, as long as you don't over stock you pond. Just remember if something
happens (loss of electricity and filter stopping and oxygen levels fall) the
big fish always die first.

Tom L.L.

Old 25-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Tom L. La Bron" wrote in message
In any event, you have a big fish in your pond and it will probably do all
right, as long as you don't over stock you pond. Just remember if

something
happens (loss of electricity and filter stopping and oxygen levels fall)

the
big fish always die first.

My husband recently bought two small battery powered airpumps with stones.
They're supposed to run for several hours on one battery. We bought extra
batteries. When the electricity goes out here it's seldom out for more than
2 to 3 hours. These airpumps should help keep our koi alive during any
outages.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/crtso