Old 26-06-2005, 02:10 AM
Susan Erickson

On 24 Jun 2005 16:50:10 -0700, wrote:

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Oncidiums grow "ladder
like", stepping up, in a way. They put out new growths from eyes on the
existing pseudobulbs, not from the center of the rhizome.

I had been wondering about this with my oncidium, which is my only, and
first, one. Hadn't been here in a while so I was interested to see
this discussion. I knew about potting the "back" of a sympodial orchid
at the edge of the pot but what I'd like to know with the oncidium is
how deep to re-pot it. If you want the roots from the higher new
growth to be at the right level for the compost, then you have to sink
the older bulbs into it, & doesn't that invite rot? Or, if you tried
to put all the p-bulb bases at compost level, then the whole thing
would be slanted over & look silly... Mine has space left in the pot
yet, but the way it's going, by the time it needs repotting, the new
shoots will be about an inch & a half above the pot. So, what is the
right way to repot them?
Thanks!

Alison

I have both buried and potted them deep but not filled that back
corner of the pot. Making sure I have added extra bark mix to
the front corner. The Brassias are the worst for me. Neither
way has added to the rot in our collection.

I think a try at combining the two works best. Push the old bulb
down - but don't fill tight around or over it. Then put extra
mix in front of the new growth, or under it.
SuE