Old 26-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , gray
writes
Whats the difference, as I have some very pink flowered roses with a
nice scent and I have some white flowered roses with no scent.

I have searched the internet and I get conflicting results.

Any ideas please ??

TIA

According to Stace (New Flora of the British Isles, 1st edn) 20 species
of rose grow wild in the British Isles (including the Channel Islands);
10 of these are belong to the dog rose group (section Caninae), and 3 of
these are Dog Rose in the vernacular. There are also many hybrids to be
found growing wild.

A rough identification for section Caninae, based on Stace's
descriptions, is that the inflorescences have bracts (which distinguish
them from Rosa gallica), and the sepals are usually pinnately lobed
(distinguishing them from the remaining species).

Identification is difficult - to quote Stace "access to accurately named
material is often a prerequisite for successful identification" - so
perhaps I shouldn't be too ashamed of my inability to distinguish roses.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley