Old 26-06-2005, 08:36 AM
gray

Default Dog Rose v Wild Rose

Whats the difference, as I have some very pink flowered roses with a
nice scent and I have some white flowered roses with no scent.

I have searched the internet and I get conflicting results.

Any ideas please ??

TIA
Old 26-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , gray
writes
Whats the difference, as I have some very pink flowered roses with a
nice scent and I have some white flowered roses with no scent.

I have searched the internet and I get conflicting results.

Any ideas please ??

TIA

According to Stace (New Flora of the British Isles, 1st edn) 20 species
of rose grow wild in the British Isles (including the Channel Islands);
10 of these are belong to the dog rose group (section Caninae), and 3 of
these are Dog Rose in the vernacular. There are also many hybrids to be
found growing wild.

A rough identification for section Caninae, based on Stace's
descriptions, is that the inflorescences have bracts (which distinguish
them from Rosa gallica), and the sepals are usually pinnately lobed
(distinguishing them from the remaining species).

Identification is difficult - to quote Stace "access to accurately named
material is often a prerequisite for successful identification" - so
perhaps I shouldn't be too ashamed of my inability to distinguish roses.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

According to Stace (New Flora of the British Isles, 1st edn) 20 species
of rose grow wild in the British Isles (including the Channel Islands);
10 of these are belong to the dog rose group (section Caninae), and 3 of
these are Dog Rose in the vernacular. There are also many hybrids to be
found growing wild.

And naturalised roses. That sounds as if the section Caninae has
been expanded since my copy of Clapham, Tutin and Warberg, which
includes only the three ones normally called 'dog rose' in that.

I must take another look at Stace on the vernacular name aspect,
because I thought that he tended towards the New English Dogmatists
(i.e. the lunatics who are attempting to define and redefine names
so that there is a one-to-one correspondence between vernacular
names and species). Those idiots should be ignored, at least as
far as that aspect goes. I may be misremembering, though.

Anyway, in the vernacular, 'wild' includes 'naturalised'. Let's
ignore the detail that the difference between 'naturalised' and
'native' is more a matter of religion than science, for reasons we
have discussed before.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

Anyway, in the vernacular, 'wild' includes 'naturalised'. Let's ignore
the detail that the difference between 'naturalised' and 'native' is
more a matter of religion than science, for reasons we have discussed
before.

Stace includes native, naturalised and casual species. I didn't go to
the trouble of separating out the native from the naturalised roses, so
the 20 wild species includes both native and naturalised.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 26-06-2005, 06:39 PM
gray

All right then.

Whats the difference between the 3 main 'wild' roses. Differences that
are easy to spot.

The 3 are sweet briar rose, field rose and dog rose ???
Old 26-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

Anyway, in the vernacular, 'wild' includes 'naturalised'. Let's ignore
the detail that the difference between 'naturalised' and 'native' is
more a matter of religion than science, for reasons we have discussed
before.

Stace includes native, naturalised and casual species. I didn't go to
the trouble of separating out the native from the naturalised roses, so
the 20 wild species includes both native and naturalised.

Ah. That's good, and indicates that there hasn't been a spate of
respeciation recently - one can never tell!

A quick glance at a dictionary indicates that the terms wild rose,
dog rose, brier (or briar), sweetbrier (or ...), eglantine and
others all overlap. Field rose and downy rose are largely the
inventions of the NEDs I referred to, and I for one have never
heard the terms used except by people who picked them up from
such books, though burnet rose did exist before. I can witness
that dog rose is and was used for any wild rose not immediately
distinguishable from Rosa canina by a non-gardener.

Oh, and both bramble and (even more) brier have more generic
meanings, including such things as Smilax species. So a dog rose
is also a bramble :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , gray
writes
All right then.

Whats the difference between the 3 main 'wild' roses. Differences that
are easy to spot.

There's not necessarily easy to spot differences for all the rose
species -

The 3 are sweet briar rose, field rose and dog rose ???

but if we restrict the scope to these three, then

Rosa arvensis (the field rose) has the styles fused into a column more
or less as long as the stamens. (The other 4 species with fused styles
are rare.)

Rosa rubiginosa (sweet briar) has strongly scented foliage; I presume
that Rosa canina (dog rose) doesn't. Rosa rubiginosa has erect stems,
Rosa canina arching stems.

[Data from Stace; Keble Martin; and Clapham, Tutin & Warburg.]
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Kay

In article , gray
writes
All right then.

Whats the difference between the 3 main 'wild' roses. Differences that
are easy to spot.

The 3 are sweet briar rose, field rose and dog rose ???

The leaves of sweet briar are noticeably scented.

According to Fitter et all the key difference is that the field rose has
the styles joined into a column - ie a little spike sticking up out of
the centre of the flower. Field rose is always white, so if it's pink
it's a dog rose variety.

Don't forget the other main wild rose, the burnet rose - R
pimpinellifolia - leafets smaller and rounded, low growing creeping
thing, black hips.
--
Kay