Old 26-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

According to Stace (New Flora of the British Isles, 1st edn) 20 species
of rose grow wild in the British Isles (including the Channel Islands);
10 of these are belong to the dog rose group (section Caninae), and 3 of
these are Dog Rose in the vernacular. There are also many hybrids to be
found growing wild.

And naturalised roses. That sounds as if the section Caninae has
been expanded since my copy of Clapham, Tutin and Warberg, which
includes only the three ones normally called 'dog rose' in that.

I must take another look at Stace on the vernacular name aspect,
because I thought that he tended towards the New English Dogmatists
(i.e. the lunatics who are attempting to define and redefine names
so that there is a one-to-one correspondence between vernacular
names and species). Those idiots should be ignored, at least as
far as that aspect goes. I may be misremembering, though.

Anyway, in the vernacular, 'wild' includes 'naturalised'. Let's
ignore the detail that the difference between 'naturalised' and
'native' is more a matter of religion than science, for reasons we
have discussed before.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.