Old 29-10-2002, 04:38 PM
Victoria Clare

Default unidentified azalea care

Last Christmas I bought a double white flowering azalea from (I think)
Waitrose. It was labelled simply 'Azalea'. It flowered enthusiastically
throughout the festive season on the dining table, and in the spring I
potted it on.

It's now starting to come back into bud.

But is it hardy? The RHS encyclopaedia suggests that azaleas sold as
potplants may be tender - how can I tell?

It's grown enough this year that it would make quite a large table
decoration - and of course it now has that generous pot to live in...

We've had no frosts here yet, and I'm wondering if it should come inside
before we finally do, or whether it should spend some time in the
greenhouse and come into the warm for Christmas.

The flowers were largish and unscented, and the leaves are smallish, dark
green, rounded and slightly hairy. I think there may actually be two
plants in the pot, though they are so entwined it's hard to tell.

Any ideas?

Victoria