Old 24-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Derek Broughton

kathy wrote:

Hi Leslie, they are the larvae of the black fly.
You can brush them off into the pond for fish
food. Or tie a Mosquito Dunk in the outlet to
the waterfall, they should die and get into the
pond that way for fast food.
You probably don't want them to hatch as they
bite!!

Bite? That's like saying Piranhas nibble...

Despite growing up in Northern Ontario*, I've been fortunate enough to have
rarely had to deal with black flies (effective spraying programs), but I
stopped at a roadside picnic table, in New Brunswick, for 30 minutes last
Sunday and by the time I got back in the car there was blood running down
my legs and arms. Those bites are _still_ itching.

* "Black fly, black fly,
always the black fly whereever I go...
I'll die with the black fly a-picking my bones,
In North Ontar-eye-oh-eye-oh, in North Ontar-eye-oh."

- Wade Hemsworth
--
derek