Old 24-06-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Hi... semi-new here

Hi everyone... I was a member of rec.ponds about 3-4 years ago...
Nedra.. are you still here??? :O)

I have a 2600 gallon pond in my front yard with... ummm... heck, I
don't know how many koi and goldfish now :O)

Just got my waterfall back up and running 2 weeks ago... I've noticed
this over the last couple of years that after it gets going... I get
these little black "worms" gathered all over the rocks in the water...
any clue as to what they are?? They're very VERY little... maybe an
18th of an inch?? possibly smaller... kind of remind me of a very
tiny mosquito larve but black... and there's millions of them...

Leslie

Old 24-06-2005, 03:20 PM
kathy

Hi Leslie, they are the larvae of the black fly.
You can brush them off into the pond for fish
food. Or tie a Mosquito Dunk in the outlet to
the waterfall, they should die and get into the
pond that way for fast food.
You probably don't want them to hatch as they
bite!!

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ introducing Miss Lily,
a painted turtle

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 24-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Derek Broughton

kathy wrote:

Hi Leslie, they are the larvae of the black fly.
You can brush them off into the pond for fish
food. Or tie a Mosquito Dunk in the outlet to
the waterfall, they should die and get into the
pond that way for fast food.
You probably don't want them to hatch as they
bite!!

Bite? That's like saying Piranhas nibble...

Despite growing up in Northern Ontario*, I've been fortunate enough to have
rarely had to deal with black flies (effective spraying programs), but I
stopped at a roadside picnic table, in New Brunswick, for 30 minutes last
Sunday and by the time I got back in the car there was blood running down
my legs and arms. Those bites are _still_ itching.

* "Black fly, black fly,
always the black fly whereever I go...
I'll die with the black fly a-picking my bones,
In North Ontar-eye-oh-eye-oh, in North Ontar-eye-oh."

- Wade Hemsworth
--
derek
Old 24-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Nedra

LESLIE!!! Oh my gosh ... I had really given up on you.
Thankfully the rains you all had a couple of years ago didn't demolish
your pond and the neat waterfall steps.

Do you still have your website? If so, Please post the link.

Old 24-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Bonnie NJ

Gee Kathy, I never knew they were the ones that were biting me! The larvae
are attached to the spill way. Where would I put the dunk, so that it would
be effective?

--
Bonnie
NJ
oups.com...

Old 24-06-2005, 08:20 PM
kathy

Hi Bonnie,
I've never had them but a ponder tried the Mosquito
Dunk against them and it worked. I'd try somehow
attaching the Dunk in the water before it reaches
the spillway. Hang it like a Christmas ornament?

Let me know how it works.

I've done some more reading on how the stuff in
the dunk works. The larvae injests it and then
it damages their digestive tract and they starve
to death.

(And for new ponders, it does not harm fish, frogs,
birds or pets)

kathy :- )

Old 24-06-2005, 11:25 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On 24 Jun 2005 07:02:42 -0700, wrote:

Hi everyone... I was a member of rec.ponds about 3-4 years ago...
Nedra.. are you still here??? :O)

Welcome back, Leslie!!! ) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 29-06-2005, 01:56 PM

HA!! You ARE still here!! :O) Wasn't sure you'd remember me even
if you were! Unfortunately I don't still have the website because I
got rid of AOL... I really should do it again though... now I have
earthlink... not sure how it works as I've not looked into it..... I
think you saw the big pond before I stopped posting here... the 2600
gallon one??? Well, it's still up and running although I need a new
pump.... using two smaller ones now and it's just not enough for my
waterfall but at least it keeps the water moving :O) Is there a
place to post pictures here or can I attach them to a message or
what???

Now that I'm reading I see there are quite a few people still on here
from years ago!! Hi Jan, Bonnie and Derek :O) Wow... time flies
hahaha

Leslie

Old 29-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Bonnie NJ

Hi Leslie,

I knew it was you when I saw the addie. You're
the only Penquin fan I know ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ
wrote in message
ups.com...
HA!! You ARE still here!! :O) Wasn't sure you'd remember me even
if you were! Unfortunately I don't still have the website because I
got rid of AOL... I really should do it again though... now I have
earthlink... not sure how it works as I've not looked into it..... I
think you saw the big pond before I stopped posting here... the 2600
gallon one??? Well, it's still up and running although I need a new
pump.... using two smaller ones now and it's just not enough for my
waterfall but at least it keeps the water moving :O) Is there a
place to post pictures here or can I attach them to a message or
what???

Now that I'm reading I see there are quite a few people still on here
from years ago!! Hi Jan, Bonnie and Derek :O) Wow... time flies
hahaha

Leslie

here here now, this poking at my daughter has to stop! Momma McKoi Ponds 0 15-05-2005 10:57 PM
New Semi-Hydropnics Forum Ray Orchids 1 19-06-2004 12:04 AM
Media for semi hydroponic (corrected email) Yc Orchids 0 06-01-2004 07:02 AM
Semi-Hydro versus Water Culture? J Fortuna Orchids 0 06-01-2004 05:34 AM
ideas for annuals in semi shade? rj Gardening 4 03-02-2003 03:35 AM