Old 28-06-2005, 01:37 AM
Sue in Western Maine

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message
Well, the verdict is in. My neighbor spotted it in his backyard and
called me up. It's a woodchuck. *Arrgghhh* I was so hoping to make a
little girl happy by returning her bunny to her.

So, the trap is on the way, and once I have Mr. Chuck incarcerated, I'll
phone the animal control people and this world will have one fewer
woodchuck. Heartless, I know, but he has now chewed *all* of my
organically-grown lettuces down to nubs. I didn't get even one for
myself.

Priscilla, tough-minded

Priscilla, better you KNOW the enemy!

Water those lettuce nubs well and see if you get some regrowth. I know its
blistering hot, and perfect "bolt weather" but you CAN try. And What the
H, if there is more than ONE Chuck, you'll have bait.

If you were harboring " bunny" you'd probably have lost the lettuce too.

Think about planting some lettuce of different sorts and colors in hanging
baskets. Lettuces are a perfect " cut and come again" crop, three plants to
a 10" hanging pot or 4 to a 14 " pot. Snip a salad every day, no slugs,
bugs or critters.

Sue
Western Maine