Old 27-06-2005, 03:02 AM
Priscilla Ballou

Default Burrower ID: Update

Well, the verdict is in. My neighbor spotted it in his backyard and
called me up. It's a woodchuck. *Arrgghhh* I was so hoping to make a
little girl happy by returning her bunny to her.

So, the trap is on the way, and once I have Mr. Chuck incarcerated, I'll
phone the animal control people and this world will have one fewer
woodchuck. Heartless, I know, but he has now chewed *all* of my
organically-grown lettuces down to nubs. I didn't get even one for
myself.

Priscilla, tough-minded
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Old 28-06-2005, 01:37 AM
Sue in Western Maine

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message
Well, the verdict is in. My neighbor spotted it in his backyard and
called me up. It's a woodchuck. *Arrgghhh* I was so hoping to make a
little girl happy by returning her bunny to her.

So, the trap is on the way, and once I have Mr. Chuck incarcerated, I'll
phone the animal control people and this world will have one fewer
woodchuck. Heartless, I know, but he has now chewed *all* of my
organically-grown lettuces down to nubs. I didn't get even one for
myself.

Priscilla, tough-minded

Priscilla, better you KNOW the enemy!

Water those lettuce nubs well and see if you get some regrowth. I know its
blistering hot, and perfect "bolt weather" but you CAN try. And What the
H, if there is more than ONE Chuck, you'll have bait.

If you were harboring " bunny" you'd probably have lost the lettuce too.

Think about planting some lettuce of different sorts and colors in hanging
baskets. Lettuces are a perfect " cut and come again" crop, three plants to
a 10" hanging pot or 4 to a 14 " pot. Snip a salad every day, no slugs,
bugs or critters.

Sue
Western Maine

Old 28-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

In article ,
"Sue in Western Maine" wrote:

Water those lettuce nubs well and see if you get some regrowth. I know its
blistering hot, and perfect "bolt weather" but you CAN try.

Oh, I'm watering all right. Today it's not blistering hot, just
swimmingly humid. Tomorrow it's going back up to 88, though.

And What the H, if there is more than ONE Chuck, you'll have bait.

Heh. Something ate the apple chunks I put out, but it might have been
the raccoon family (mom and four cubs). Do 'chucks like carrot tops as
bunnies do?

If you were harboring " bunny" you'd probably have lost the lettuce too.

Oh, I know, but the end-result of the capture would have been happier.

Think about planting some lettuce of different sorts and colors in hanging
baskets. Lettuces are a perfect " cut and come again" crop, three plants to
a 10" hanging pot or 4 to a 14 " pot. Snip a salad every day, no slugs,
bugs or critters.

What a good idea. Hmmm.

Thanks, Sue!

Priscilla
Old 30-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Sue in Western Maine

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote in message
In article ,
"Sue in Western Maine" wrote:

[...]

You are welcome, Priscilla.

Now I want to know whether you gave your Chuck directions to MY house??????

Looked out this morning and find I have one living under DH's Woodshop. My
dog obviously is not doing her job.

Sue

Old 30-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

In article ,
"Sue in Western Maine" wrote:

Now I want to know whether you gave your Chuck directions to MY house??????

Looked out this morning and find I have one living under DH's Woodshop. My
dog obviously is not doing her job.

That'd be a bit of a haul for a woodchuck, eh?

I once found the owner of a kitty* who'd strayed a couple of miles to my
house, but Boston to Maine? Guess he'd have to have gotten a lot of
energy from my lettuces! LOL!

[* front declawed, in single digit weather over New Years, wandering for
3 weeks, and down 25% of her weight before I found her! That kitty was
determined to survive.]

Priscilla

Old 30-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Sue in Western Maine

"Sue in Western Maine" wrote:

Now I want to know whether you gave your Chuck directions to MY

house??????

Looked out this morning and find I have one living under DH's Woodshop.

My
dog obviously is not doing her job.

That'd be a bit of a haul for a woodchuck, eh?

Oh yes, even with the DownEaster RR to Portland.

JK, you know. Just pretty dam funny coincidence--we've been blaming the
dog for the digging by the shop footers/steps

I once found the owner of a kitty* who'd strayed a couple of miles to my
house, but Boston to Maine? Guess he'd have to have gotten a lot of
energy from my lettuces! LOL!

[* front declawed, in single digit weather over New Years, wandering for
3 weeks, and down 25% of her weight before I found her! That kitty was
determined to survive.]

And survive she did with your help.!

Priscilla

Sue

[IMG] code is On

LG Update: Birds of America (was Alexis Bledel update) Rob Jensen Ponds 0 26-12-2007 12:03 AM
Burrower ID? Priscilla Ballou Gardening 8 24-06-2005 07:31 PM
Update on yellow lemon tree leaves John Savage Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
OrchidSafari Update K Barrett Orchids 0 01-02-2003 04:57 AM
Tiny Heather update jammer Gardening 1 26-01-2003 04:03 AM