Old 27-06-2005, 09:18 PM
david taylor

Back to the original question.
We had a lot of these creatures when we lived in Cheshire. They are reported
to eat the eggs of other small creatures including woodlice and could as
NMcL implies be counted as a gardeners friend.
If there are a lot of them about there must e a good cache of goodies for
them to feed on.
David T
"ned" wrote in message

"Tickettyboo" wrote in message
In ,
ned whispered softly in my ear...:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Sven wrote:
My patio area is infested with tiny red spiders, they are
everywhere. I know that it isn't red spider mite. I've tried

Jeyes
fluid to eradicate them but without success. Has anyone come

across
these creatures or know how to get rid. All advise appreciated.

Why not leave them alone? The very worst that they will do to

you
is tickle, and they are useful at keeping pests down.

Ahh, maybe not quite so straight forward.
First identify your red spider.
If it is a 'red velvet mite' - which are definitely spider like,
one of its look alike species has carnivorous 0.5mm larvae which

can
cause 'heat lumps'.
For a full and authoritive dissertation joking, check out
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/spiders.html/RdVelMite
:-)

de-lurk
ned, I couldn't get that url :-( ...and I have red spider things ,

so I
wanted to have a looksee
..I 'could' get it if I went here though..
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/spiders.html#RdVelMite

Urrgh!
See what happens when SWMBO intervenes.
Thank you, T'boo, for the correction.