Old 28-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Niall Smyth

hi all

I planted a load of seeds from chillis I got in tesco (very succesful)

Does anyone know the variety it is?
They are about 4-5 inches long and a typical long thin waxy type

They come in a small clear package maked "mixed chillis"
with red and greens, with a "medium" rating

I also got some in an asian shop
all green, waxy thin and about 3" long, quite hot
Variety anyone??

ciao

niall

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

Was it on this newsgroup that I announced my wide-eyed discovery

that
the seeds of chillies aren't hot? Only to be told by the experts,

"Of
course they aren't: it's the flesh and chiefly the placenta which
pack the punch. We thought everybody knew that!"

Yes. But, when you remove the seeds from the flesh of a fresh,
not overripe, chili, you usually remove most of the placenta with
the seeds. That is why it is a common myth/simplification to say
that the seeds are where the heat is, rather than the flesh, and
why deseeding chilis does reduce their heat.

You don't imagine that my family separated the seeds from the
placents before putting both on my pizza, do you? That would be
silly.

Not sure that I was imagining anything, merely making an observation.
Thanks for confirming it.

--
Mike.