Old 30-10-2002, 09:48 AM
Victoria Clare

Default unidentified azalea care

"Rod" wrote in
:

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.209...

But is it hardy? The RHS encyclopaedia suggests that azaleas sold as
potplants may be tender - how can I tell?

I think you should take that as tender Victoria, though I wouldn't be
surprised if some favoured gardens in the SW could grow them outside.
The hardy 'Japanese Azaleas' usually have larger leaves - often longer
rather than round and flowers tend to be simpler. It's highly unlikely
that your supermarket plant would be anything other than the 'Indica'
type. If you'd got it from a garden centre there would be more doubt.
The indoor plants often are several to a pot. Yes get it in before
frost.

Thanks Rod!
I am high enough up that we usually (so far!) do get some noticeable frosts
once they finally arrive, so I will do as you suggest.

Will have to put it somewhere where I will be always falling over it, as it
likes plenty to drink - will probably need watering daily now we have the
central heating on.

Victoria