Old 29-06-2005, 11:55 AM

Default How to clear 150 sq.m of 6 foot tall weeds.

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on whether my idea for clearing my back garden
of weeds in feasible.

Having left the garden for two years whilst the house has been
extended, we are now ready to remodel the garden. As you can imagine it
is now overgrown with all sorts of weeds and at around 150 square
metre's I'm not going to do it by hand! So in order to bring back
the garden into some kind of state where I can start gardening it
properly, I've devised a cunning plan.

The plan is in two parts. Part one is to dose the whole lot with
lashings of glyphosphate (Roundup 5L with its own sprayer) to kill off
all the weeds including the roots. Part two is to hire a flame gun and
burn off all the now dead vegetation leaving bare soil covered with a
fine dressing of ash.

My concern is that the burning won't remove the dead weeds, but will
leave them charred and very dead but still standing. Some of these are
6-foot tall!

Would it be better to rotovate the dead weeds after the weedkiller
stage or will the flame gun reduce them to ashes?