Old 29-06-2005, 11:55 AM

Default How to clear 150 sq.m of 6 foot tall weeds.

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on whether my idea for clearing my back garden
of weeds in feasible.

Having left the garden for two years whilst the house has been
extended, we are now ready to remodel the garden. As you can imagine it
is now overgrown with all sorts of weeds and at around 150 square
metre's I'm not going to do it by hand! So in order to bring back
the garden into some kind of state where I can start gardening it
properly, I've devised a cunning plan.

The plan is in two parts. Part one is to dose the whole lot with
lashings of glyphosphate (Roundup 5L with its own sprayer) to kill off
all the weeds including the roots. Part two is to hire a flame gun and
burn off all the now dead vegetation leaving bare soil covered with a
fine dressing of ash.

My concern is that the burning won't remove the dead weeds, but will
leave them charred and very dead but still standing. Some of these are
6-foot tall!

Would it be better to rotovate the dead weeds after the weedkiller
stage or will the flame gun reduce them to ashes?

Old 29-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
writes:

| I'm looking for advice on whether my idea for clearing my back garden
| of weeds in feasible.

Chris Bacon says no, and I agree.

| Having left the garden for two years whilst the house has been
| extended, we are now ready to remodel the garden. As you can imagine it
| is now overgrown with all sorts of weeds and at around 150 square
| metre's I'm not going to do it by hand! So in order to bring back
| the garden into some kind of state where I can start gardening it
| properly, I've devised a cunning plan.

The last words of a great many people :-)

It depends slightly on the sort of weeds, but it is always better
to cut them down first and dispose of the residue. 150 square
metres of herbaceous weeds would take only a few hours with a
sickle, but the same area of two year old brambles and tree
saplings might take a weekend. A person used to the job would
do it a lot faster, of course.

You could hire a strimmer for the latter, but you might need one
with a metal blade, and they can remove your foot if used
carelessly. Don't bother with the cheap electric ones with
plastic string, as they are a complete waste of time.

After having burnt, composted or green binned the residue, let
the area green up, and THEN hit it with glyphosate. Possibly
twice, with a month between. There is little point in using
that either on mature weeds or on the place where they were.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Martin Brown

I'm looking for advice on whether my idea for clearing my back garden
of weeds in feasible.

It all depends how flammable your boundary fences, trees are... and
whether or not there are any local prohibitions on garden fires.

Having left the garden for two years whilst the house has been
extended, we are now ready to remodel the garden. As you can imagine it
is now overgrown with all sorts of weeds and at around 150 square
metre's I'm not going to do it by hand! So in order to bring back
the garden into some kind of state where I can start gardening it
properly, I've devised a cunning plan.

150m^2 isn't too bad to do by hand. A good pair of secateurs, a scythe
and a pruning saw will get most things on a plot that size.

The plan is in two parts. Part one is to dose the whole lot with
lashings of glyphosphate (Roundup 5L with its own sprayer) to kill off
all the weeds including the roots. Part two is to hire a flame gun and
burn off all the now dead vegetation leaving bare soil covered with a
fine dressing of ash.

This will work, although you probably want to buy glyphosate in
concentrated form and have a wand type sprayer to use exclusively for
weedkillers. Let the stuff die off and become tinder dry (about 1 month).

Then make some fire breaks and torch it in suitable sized bonfires. You
will not need a flame gun if you wait until everything is very dry and
ready to burn. You may need buckets of water and a spade to control the
spread of fire. Grass fires spread quickly.

Some weeds are tougher than others. I find buttercup can recolonise
glyphosated rough ground very quickly. You are unlikely to see off
bramble, groundelder, horsetail, bindweed or thistle in a single go.

My concern is that the burning won't remove the dead weeds, but will
leave them charred and very dead but still standing. Some of these are
6-foot tall!

Cut them down and make a bonfire much more control that way.

Would it be better to rotovate the dead weeds after the weedkiller
stage or will the flame gun reduce them to ashes?

Depends on the weeds. Thistle and ground elder thrive on such treatment
you will get one new plant for every 6mm piece of root left in the soil.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 29-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Christopher Norton

The message

In article . com,
writes:

| I'm looking for advice on whether my idea for clearing my back garden
| of weeds in feasible.

Chris Bacon says no, and I agree.

| Having left the garden for two years whilst the house has been
| extended, we are now ready to remodel the garden. As you can imagine it
| is now overgrown with all sorts of weeds and at around 150 square
| metre's I'm not going to do it by hand! So in order to bring back
| the garden into some kind of state where I can start gardening it
| properly, I've devised a cunning plan.

The last words of a great many people :-)

It depends slightly on the sort of weeds, but it is always better
to cut them down first and dispose of the residue. 150 square
metres of herbaceous weeds would take only a few hours with a
sickle, but the same area of two year old brambles and tree
saplings might take a weekend. A person used to the job would
do it a lot faster, of course.

You could hire a strimmer for the latter, but you might need one
with a metal blade, and they can remove your foot if used
carelessly. Don't bother with the cheap electric ones with
plastic string, as they are a complete waste of time.

After having burnt, composted or green binned the residue, let
the area green up, and THEN hit it with glyphosate. Possibly
twice, with a month between. There is little point in using
that either on mature weeds or on the place where they were.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Another alternative is to cover the whole lot with horse shit and then
sheet it with black polythene. Get to autumn and rotovate, rotovate and
more rotovate. Then all next year let them germinate for a week or so,
then rotovate continue ad-lib for a year or 3 and might make an
impression.

Whats the old saying, seed for a year, weed for seven?

I`m not envious at all.

Old 29-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Martin Sykes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
carelessly. Don't bother with the cheap electric ones with
plastic string, as they are a complete waste of time.

I've got one of those and it's good for grass but anything woody does snap
the 'plastic string' a lot. I wonder though - what's to stop me taking the
plastic string off, rewinding it with something stronger like galvanised
straining wire and using it like that?

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 29-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:

I've got one of those and it's good for grass but anything woody does snap
the 'plastic string' a lot. I wonder though - what's to stop me taking the
plastic string off, rewinding it with something stronger like galvanised
straining wire and using it like that?

In a word, shrapnel.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
carelessly. Don't bother with the cheap electric ones with
plastic string, as they are a complete waste of time.

I've got one of those and it's good for grass but anything woody does snap
the 'plastic string' a lot. I wonder though - what's to stop me taking the
plastic string off, rewinding it with something stronger like galvanised
straining wire and using it like that?

Common sense and self-preservation?

The resistance encountered by the wire on heavier material would
probably burn out the motor. If it didn't, you wouldn't want a little
bit of high-velocity wire breaking off on a hidden stone and meeting
your bod.

Janet.
Old 29-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough writes:

| The resistance encountered by the wire on heavier material would
| probably burn out the motor. If it didn't, you wouldn't want a little
| bit of high-velocity wire breaking off on a hidden stone and meeting
| your bod.

Considering the number of people who seem to get turned on by
having unusual parts of their body pierced with metal, I wouldn't
be so certain. I agree that using a strimmer to do that is
kinky even by modern tastes, but there's no accounting for tastes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:02:40 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message

I know a lady doctor who tells a painful tale of the bloke who claimed
he was vacuuming the stairs with a Hoover Dustette, déshabillé, and who
sustained dreadful injuries to - um - well, to have fitted, it *MUST*
have been a bit of a weed...

..to keep on topic.

New Scientist circa 1982.

Probably happened a number of times - this particular doc was a hospital
doctor, and was I think, in A&E at the time.

Mind you, it could well have been the same chopp - er - chopping.

Old 29-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Jupiter

wrote:
The message

I know a lady doctor who tells a painful tale of the bloke who claimed
he was vacuuming the stairs with a Hoover Dustette, déshabillé, and who
sustained dreadful injuries to - um - well, to have fitted, it *MUST*
have been a bit of a weed...

..to keep on topic.

New Scientist circa 1982.

Probably happened a number of times - this particular doc was a hospital
doctor, and was I think, in A&E at the time.

Mind you, it could well have been the same chopp - er - chopping.

Some of those devices have a fan inside with nasty sharp metal blades.
People should check the clearance before inserting things (or
accidentally sucking them in whilst vacuuming the stairs).