Old 01-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Ornata

Euonymus fortunei cultivars are generally happy in shade - I have
plenty of different, even heavily variegated ones (such as 'Blondy',
'Silver Queen' and 'Harlequin') in quite deep shade by a house wall and
under tall shrubs. However, in too much shade most yellow variegation
will turn light green. If it's getting afternoon sun, that might be
enough to retain the yellow coloration. I've a feeling 'Emerald 'n'
Gold' will only get to about 3 feet tall, though, unless given the
support of a wall or fence to climb (I could be wrong). I've seen
taller, established examples of other Euonymus fortunei cultivars in
people's gardens, though.

If you can keep the compost lime-free, how about a Pieris (there are
dwarf varieties) or a Camellia? My camellia flowers very well in a
position with no direct sunlight, so it should certainly do well with
just some sun in the afternoon. Or for big, dramatic foliage, Fatsia
japonica?