Old 01-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Martin Brown

hillier wrote:

My first try at growing courgettes has been a great success and they are
cropping very well. I am surprised that I havn't had to worry about
pollination and have not seen anything that looks like a male flower, maybe
just beginners luck. My query is that the thick stems and leaves may be
stopping some fruit forming properly, do they need defoliating at all ?

More leaves and stems = more fruit. The main problem you face is finding
enough different ways of cooking courgettes not to get bored with them.
I recommend stir fried with a hint of fresh chilli pepper.

Towards the end of the season you can also do marrow & ginger soup.

Regards,
Martin Brown