Old 02-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Stephen Henning

"Bunny McElwee" wrote:

Is there a way for me to cut off one of the two that are growing right next
to each other and pot it in another pot for another plant? I don't want to
harm the mother plant, but if all I lose is one stem, I can live with that.
Any suggestions on how to go about propagating this particular plant? I love
this plant and would love to have another one growing as well as this one
does. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Pics of plant can be found
at
http://www.lowcountrymiataclub.net/plant/cornplant1.jpg
http://www.lowcountrymiataclub.net/plant/cornplant2.jpg
http://www.lowcountrymiataclub.net/plant/cornplant3.jpg

This might be a Dracaena fragrans or Green Corn Plant. Check out:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i...anet_Craig.htm

Dracaena can be propagated from stem-tip, stem, or cane cuttings, and
air-layering. Air layering is a low risk operation. Here's how to do
air-layering. With Dracaena, you will need to remove leave for about
4" along the cane. Then do the air-layer in that part. Don't do the
layer too far down the stem. Then you will have too much growth for the
new roots to handle.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...rlayer/airlaye
r.html

The advantage of air layering is that you can air-layer one stem at a
time. You don't sever it from the parent plant until you can see lots
of roots in the poly film

More detailed instructions for air-layering canes is provided at:

http://icangarden.ca/document.cfm?ta...&categoryi d=
0

This combined with pictorial directions in the previous reference should
give you what you need.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman