Old 02-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Bunny McElwee

Default Corn Plant?

I've got a plant that I have always called a Corn Plant because it
resembles corn growing in a field. It grows from a short piece of "wood'
stock and there are four "stems" growing up off of the top of the stock and
grow quite well. I've had this plant in the same pot since it was given to
me 10 years ago. It's always been a beautiful plant, but I have often
wondered if there was a way to cut off one of the "stems" and make a new
plant. I have two stems that are seemingly growing from the same spot on one
side of the stock. The others all seem to be spaced well, and growing well.
Is there a way for me to cut off one of the two that are growing right next
to each other and pot it in another pot for another plant? I don't want to
harm the mother plant, but if all I lose is one stem, I can live with that.
Any suggestions on how to go about propagating this particular plant? I love
this plant and would love to have another one growing as well as this one
does. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Pics of plant can be found
at
http://www.lowcountrymiataclub.net/plant/cornplant1.jpg
http://www.lowcountrymiataclub.net/plant/cornplant2.jpg
http://www.lowcountrymiataclub.net/plant/cornplant3.jpg

--
Bunny McElwee
Event Coordinator & Membership

1991 Mariner Blue with Red & White Stripes
"BlueFlash"

Old 02-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Cereus-validus.....

No, little funny bunny.

Its Dracaena fragrans, the Dragon Tree, and it really doesn't resemble Zea
mays much at all.

Do a Google search and you will find much on how to care for this common
plant.

Old 02-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Stephen Henning

"Bunny McElwee" wrote:

Is there a way for me to cut off one of the two that are growing right next
to each other and pot it in another pot for another plant? I don't want to
harm the mother plant, but if all I lose is one stem, I can live with that.
Any suggestions on how to go about propagating this particular plant? I love
this plant and would love to have another one growing as well as this one
does. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Pics of plant can be found
at
http://www.lowcountrymiataclub.net/plant/cornplant1.jpg
http://www.lowcountrymiataclub.net/plant/cornplant2.jpg
http://www.lowcountrymiataclub.net/plant/cornplant3.jpg

This might be a Dracaena fragrans or Green Corn Plant. Check out:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i...anet_Craig.htm

Dracaena can be propagated from stem-tip, stem, or cane cuttings, and
air-layering. Air layering is a low risk operation. Here's how to do
air-layering. With Dracaena, you will need to remove leave for about
4" along the cane. Then do the air-layer in that part. Don't do the
layer too far down the stem. Then you will have too much growth for the
new roots to handle.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...rlayer/airlaye
r.html

The advantage of air layering is that you can air-layer one stem at a
time. You don't sever it from the parent plant until you can see lots
of roots in the poly film

More detailed instructions for air-layering canes is provided at:

http://icangarden.ca/document.cfm?ta...&categoryi d=
0

This combined with pictorial directions in the previous reference should
give you what you need.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

[IMG] code is On

"corn plant" Peter Thomas Gardening 1 30-08-2003 11:42 AM
Corn Plant - House Plant Type - Propagation Bunny McElwee Gardening 4 11-08-2003 06:42 PM
Corn Plant Bugs - What to do? D Wellman Lawns 7 16-07-2003 07:22 PM
Corn plant wounds [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 12-05-2003 07:20 PM
Dracaena. (Corn Plant) leafing Plantkiller Gardening 24 24-04-2003 12:20 AM