Old 03-07-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Cut down a tree or remove a section instead?

I have a mature maple tree in my backyard, about 30 feet outside my
kids' bedroom. The tree is V-shaped, with two major trunks splitting
from the base about 3 feet off the ground. One of these trunks is
overhanging over the roof of our house.

Recently we noticed a crack in the tree at the base (on both sides),
going all the way down to the ground. There is also some tree juice
coming out of the crack.

A tree-removal professional came out and said that the tree can split
down the middle and needs to be removed. Another professional said
that he can remove one of the trunks (the one overhanging the house)
and leave the other trunk in place.

I am leaning toward removing the entire tree. But I am told that
mature trees such as this maple tree help keep water out of our
basement by absorbing it thru their roots. Any truth to this claim?