Old 03-07-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Cut down a tree or remove a section instead?

I have a mature maple tree in my backyard, about 30 feet outside my
kids' bedroom. The tree is V-shaped, with two major trunks splitting
from the base about 3 feet off the ground. One of these trunks is
overhanging over the roof of our house.

Recently we noticed a crack in the tree at the base (on both sides),
going all the way down to the ground. There is also some tree juice
coming out of the crack.

A tree-removal professional came out and said that the tree can split
down the middle and needs to be removed. Another professional said
that he can remove one of the trunks (the one overhanging the house)
and leave the other trunk in place.

I am leaning toward removing the entire tree. But I am told that
mature trees such as this maple tree help keep water out of our
basement by absorbing it thru their roots. Any truth to this claim?

Old 03-07-2005, 04:31 AM
Treedweller

On 2 Jul 2005 19:33:29 -0700, wrote:

I have a mature maple tree in my backyard, about 30 feet outside my
kids' bedroom. The tree is V-shaped, with two major trunks splitting
from the base about 3 feet off the ground. One of these trunks is
overhanging over the roof of our house.

Recently we noticed a crack in the tree at the base (on both sides),
going all the way down to the ground. There is also some tree juice
coming out of the crack.

A tree-removal professional came out and said that the tree can split
down the middle and needs to be removed. Another professional said
that he can remove one of the trunks (the one overhanging the house)
and leave the other trunk in place.

I am leaning toward removing the entire tree. But I am told that
mature trees such as this maple tree help keep water out of our
basement by absorbing it thru their roots. Any truth to this claim?

You have not explored all of your options. Pay a qualified arborist
to come out and explain the pros and cons of pruning, cabling, and
removal. Then call another to see if they agree. All you will get
from the "free estimates" guys is an estimate of what they will charge
to do whatever they most like to do. It's great if you already know
what you want, but not so great if you are relying on their advice to
make a major decision.

An ISA Certified Arborist is more likely to know what's best for this
tree than some random phone number. A member of the American Society
of Consulting Arborists is more likely to know what's best than just
an ISA CA. Many cities have arborists who do consultations only;
since they don't do any of the work they recommend, you may feel more
confident that they won't suggest something you don't need. In any
event, a well informed arborist will most likely be able to help you
make an informed decision, then act on it, whatever it is. There are
not always clear-cut answers questions with trees; you have to balance
your tolerance for risk against the costs (both financial and
intangible) of losing the tree.

disclaimer: I am an ISA Certified Arborist and so may be viewed as
biased in this matter. I do noy believe that clouds my advice,
though. If you told me you wanted a new roof, or a plumber, or
whatever, I would say pay someone who knows what's what to come tell
you what's best, rather than looking for the lowball bid and doing
whatever that guy might say is good enough. You get what you pay for.

good luck,
Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-236
Old 04-07-2005, 09:19 PM

Keith, thank you for your advice. I will call a local arborist to find
out about other options. Thanks again!

Andre

[IMG] code is On

Anyone had a big tree cut down? Muddymike[_2_] United Kingdom 17 13-02-2014 07:02 PM
I had a tree cut down... Jimmy Lawns 5 15-11-2008 04:21 PM
Can I water my flower garden with treated pool water instead of just putting it down andrewhomes Ponds 0 17-09-2007 10:46 AM
should I cut my banana tree down? [email protected] Gardening 5 22-03-2007 06:08 PM
Petrified Palm Root Cross-Section Image Inyo Plant Science 1 20-02-2003 02:18 PM