Old 04-11-2002, 02:24 AM
Big Al

Default Basil

Alan Gould wrote on Sat 26 Oct 2002 04:12:47p :

Some very interesting new varieties of basil are becoming available
due to the herb's increasing popularity. We received the Halcyon seeds
2003 catalogue only today and it includes the following types of
Basil: Dark Opal; Greek; Lime; Thai; Green Globe; Ararat; Bush;
Cinnamon; Lettuce Leaved; Marsaillaise; Mrs. Burns Lemon; Purple
Ruffles; Spice; Sweet Compact; Sweet Genovese.

I've never had much joy with purple basils, Purple Ruffles is the only
one I've had that vaguely worked, and was too liquoricey for my taste.
Found some lime basil seeds in my dad's greenhouse and they're
definitely recommendable, although bog standard basil works fine for me
- does appreciate lots of sun though.