Old 03-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Totty

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message .com
from "Totty" contains these words:

.. Is the darkening dependent on age
or conditions?

Mine in Scotland are blue atm, so this may be something to do with
your warmer-than-UK climate. They set plenty of seed here, so be sure to
save some for next year. I find they do better if broadcast in Spring,
where I want them, rather than just left to self-sow

Thank you Janet, Hanne and Rupert for your input. Normally I sow all
seeds in August or September, just before the Autumn rains are forecast
to arrive, thus giving them warm moist conditions in which to germinate
and then to grow on through our (usually) temperate winter. This packet
of seed was discovered languishing in a suitcase a couple of months
ago, and so missed out on the usual treatment! Half a dozen seeds were
planted individually in a bed in positions close to drip feeds that
deliver 1 litre of water per hour, and which are usually on for an hour
twice a week. They were hand watered daily until the second set of
leaves appeared, and then left to the mercy of the dripper. They are in
full sun and have made good bushy plants. Another 3 seeds were pushed
down the side of my curly parsley pot; in the shade for most of the day
and watered daily. These have grown leggy, but there is no difference
in the colouring. The final three seeds were given the "suck it and
see" treatment...pushed into a cultivated area, but given no water at
any stage. I was not surprised by their failure, but if enough seed is
produced by the others, I shall maybe test this method again with an
autumn sowing.

--
Jo
Alicante