Old 02-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Totty

Default Cerinthe major 'Purpurascens'

I have grown this for the first time this year, from seed that was a
freeby with Gardens Monthly. It seems to like my hot, dry conditions,
and though drooping slightly at the end of the day, perks up overnight
without being watered more than once a week. Does anyone know at what
stage I will see the promised "blueing" of the vegetation and flowers?
At the moment the leaves and bracts are glaucus, but pale, green, and
the flowers are a pale salmony pink. Is the darkening dependent on age
or conditions?

--
Jo
Alicante

Old 02-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message .com
from "Totty" contains these words:

I have grown this for the first time this year, from seed that was a
freeby with Gardens Monthly. It seems to like my hot, dry conditions,
and though drooping slightly at the end of the day, perks up overnight
without being watered more than once a week. Does anyone know at what
stage I will see the promised "blueing" of the vegetation and flowers?
At the moment the leaves and bracts are glaucus, but pale, green, and
the flowers are a pale salmony pink. Is the darkening dependent on age
or conditions?

Mine in Scotland are blue atm, so this may be something to do with
your warmer-than-UK climate. They set plenty of seed here, so be sure to
save some for next year. I find they do better if broadcast in Spring,
where I want them, rather than just left to self-sow

Janet.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Hanne Bech-Jensen

"Totty" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know at what stage I will see the promised "blueing" of the
vegetation and flowers?

Mine are blue here in Denmark too now. They were sown indoors beginning of
March, and planted outside 3 weeks ago. I also got mine with Gardens Monthly
when I visited England last summer :-)

Take care,
Hanne in Denmark

Old 03-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Rupert

"Totty" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have grown this for the first time this year, from seed that was a
freeby with Gardens Monthly. It seems to like my hot, dry conditions,
and though drooping slightly at the end of the day, perks up overnight
without being watered more than once a week. Does anyone know at what
stage I will see the promised "blueing" of the vegetation and flowers?
At the moment the leaves and bracts are glaucus, but pale, green, and
the flowers are a pale salmony pink. Is the darkening dependent on age
or conditions?

--
Jo
Alicante

Mine in Yorkshire are only just starting to grow properly. They seem to go
blue early august and last until the first frosts.
However, in my sisters garden a few miles away they flower and blue by mid
June--set seed and then self seed around the garden producing quite stout
plants that overwinter to form excellent plants,so it's worth treating them
as a short lived perennial

Old 03-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Totty

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message .com
from "Totty" contains these words:

.. Is the darkening dependent on age
or conditions?

Mine in Scotland are blue atm, so this may be something to do with
your warmer-than-UK climate. They set plenty of seed here, so be sure to
save some for next year. I find they do better if broadcast in Spring,
where I want them, rather than just left to self-sow

Thank you Janet, Hanne and Rupert for your input. Normally I sow all
seeds in August or September, just before the Autumn rains are forecast
to arrive, thus giving them warm moist conditions in which to germinate
and then to grow on through our (usually) temperate winter. This packet
of seed was discovered languishing in a suitcase a couple of months
ago, and so missed out on the usual treatment! Half a dozen seeds were
planted individually in a bed in positions close to drip feeds that
deliver 1 litre of water per hour, and which are usually on for an hour
twice a week. They were hand watered daily until the second set of
leaves appeared, and then left to the mercy of the dripper. They are in
full sun and have made good bushy plants. Another 3 seeds were pushed
down the side of my curly parsley pot; in the shade for most of the day
and watered daily. These have grown leggy, but there is no difference
in the colouring. The final three seeds were given the "suck it and
see" treatment...pushed into a cultivated area, but given no water at
any stage. I was not surprised by their failure, but if enough seed is
produced by the others, I shall maybe test this method again with an
autumn sowing.

--
Jo
Alicante